Shirt and Tie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Interview

Go down

The Interview Empty The Interview

Post by MatthewJames7 Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:25 am

Sitting in the garden, taking in all the sights and smells that greeted her and watching the sun rise in the sky, Elizabeth reflected on the past year of her life which had been her annus horribilis- a Latin term which means horrible year. She had been left at the altar by her fiancé who left her for another woman, she had been fired from her job and she had broken her leg three times.
Elizabeth was a beautiful young woman with skin as white as snow, her blue eyes resembled that of sapphires and her long, flowing, curly blonde hair was like melted gold. She had a slender build and she stood at roughly five feet nine inches tall. She spoke very gently and had a very kind and caring mentality which everyone she knew admired about her. She was christened Elizabeth after her late grandmother, who had died not long after Elizabeth and her twin sister Donna were born, but everyone knew her as Liz. 
Elizabeth stood up and walked back down the path that led to her house, an old-style Georgian house which was based in the English countryside. She walked inside and into her kitchen where Donna was sitting at the table, eating her breakfast. Donna was like her sister in every way except, instead of blonde hair, Donna had hair as black as night. Elizabeth sat down at the table and started to eat her own cooked breakfast, three sausages, two eggs, two rashers and a black pudding. Donna, surprised at her sister’s amount of food, exclaimed, “That’s a lot of food there Liz” and Elizabeth replied softly, “I’ve got to keep my strength up, I have a job interview later, so I need a big breakfast.” Laughing, Donna stood up, strolled over to Elizabeth, kissed her on the cheek saying, “I’ve to go to work, I’ll be home late tonight, I’ve a few meetings and then I’ve to go to a talk in the college.” Donna worked in the local college as the head of the department of English and was very busy. Elizabeth stood up and walked up the stairs and into her bedroom and over to the mahogany wardrobe that stood tall in the room. She opened it with a creaking sound emanating from it. “I need to oil the hinges of the door.” Picking out a black pinstripe suit and folding it, she smiled and sat down on the end of her massive four poster bed, placed the suit on the bed and rubbed her eyes. Looking over at her dresser table, she walked over and put on her glasses. She strolled into the bathroom and activated the shower, watching the steam coming from the hot water. She stepped in and let the water invigorate and refresh her. Turning off the shower, she stood out onto the bath mat and carefully dried herself off.  Elizabeth walked over to the bed and picked up the crisp-white shirt and opened the buttons. She put on the shirt and closed the buttons, except for the top one. Then she took the black trousers and put them on. Walking over to the mirror, she looked at herself and smiled. Opening her wardrobe, she picked out a pair of black socks and a pair of black suit shoes. She clambered into the shoes and picked up the blazer that was folded on the bed. She put on the blazer, took a red tie and placed it around her neck, tying it in a half Windsor knot, and examined herself once again. Smiling, she walked back down the spiral staircase with its marble railing, picked up her sunglasses, and into the kitchen. Suddenly the silence was broken by the sound of her phone ringing and she strolled over to the counter-top where it was charging, and she took it in her hands. “Hello, Liz, Karen here, just ringing to say that your necklace is ready to be collected, apologies for ringing so early.” Elizabeth replied, “Oh that’s perfect, you’re perfectly ok for calling, I was actually just on my way out, so I can swing by and collect it now if you want Karen.” Karen exclaimed, “That’s perfect, see you then.” Hanging up, Elizabeth walked over to the salad bowl where she kept her car keys and walked outside, once again taking in the smells and sights that greeted her. Hearing a purring sound, she looked down to find her cat, Tibbles, against her leg and she bent down to rub him on his back, he liked that. Elizabeth walked over to her car, an Audi R8 V10, and sat in. Turning the key into the ignition, the car’s engine roared into life, and Tibbles ran off, scared by the engine’s noise. She drove down the avenue and pressed a button on a remote to open the set of magnificent electric gates that greeted one on entry to the house. The gates opened slowly, and Elizabeth drove out. Arriving at the jeweler’s shop, she walked inside the delipidated, run down building and up to the counter. Karen, a thin woman with short brown hair, came over holding a plastic bag in her hand and exclaimed, “Liz, don’t you look pretty?” and Elizabeth blushed, her face turning scarlet. “Karen, I’d love to stay but I have an interview to go to.” Walking behind the counter, Karen replied, “Sure thing, sure drop in there on Saturday and we can have a cup of coffee.” Giving Karen a thumbs-up, Elizabeth walked back outside to her car and drove off. Eventually, she pulled up outside the local secondary school and walked inside. Many students marched past her on their way to their classrooms, looking at her as they walked on, some of the girls murmuring to each other, “Who’s she?” under their breath. At that moment, the receptionist, a small, middle-aged woman with grey hair and steel-rimmed glasses, strolled out of her office and exclaimed, “Hi, I’m Felicity, how may I help you?” and Elizabeth replied, “I’m looking for the principal’s office, I’m here about the vacant position of deputy headmistress, I was in contact with the headmistress there about a fortnight ago and she told me to come in today and meet her.” Felicity smiled, walked back into her office, dialed the extension number and there was a voice on the opposite side that said, “Yes, how can I help?” and Felicity quickly replied, “There is a lady here to see you, she says she is here about the vacancy left by Marie.” After about 2 minutes, there was a knock on the door and a young slender woman with chestnut colored hair, wearing a beige colored suit and a blue necktie, tied in a four-in-hand knot with a small dimple, walked into the office and exclaimed, “Hi, you must be Elizabeth, I’m Katie, headmistress of this school, it’s very nice to finally meet you, apologies for the delay, I had a little bit of trouble with a student this morning so that put me behind schedule, by the way I love that suit” and Elizabeth, smiling, replied, “thanks very much, I bought it ages ago.” Opening the door, Katie and Elizabeth walked out and up the flight of stairs and down a long, winding corridor which seemed to go on forever. They eventually arrived at a giant brass door and Katie, turning the handle, exclaimed, “Here we are, my office.” The office was painted white with floral designs on the walls and Elizabeth looked at the walls in awe. Katie, catching Elizabeth’s awe, exclaimed, “I don’t mean to toot my own horn, but I actually painted those designs myself, I have a penchant for art, my parents wanted me to go to Art school, but I discovered my true vocation was teaching.” Sitting down, Katie exclaimed, “Right, let’s begin, what made you accept this job offer?” and Elizabeth, pausing to think, replied, “Well, I’ve always wanted to be a principal, and when I heard that that this position had been vacated, my sister told me to go for it” and Katie nodding, wrote down some notes on a piece of paper. The interview carried on for what seemed like ages but eventually Katie stood up and said, “Well, I’ve heard everything I need to hear, well, we will be in touch regarding whether you get the position or not, thank you for coming in today, best of luck.” Elizabeth, standing up, walked out of the office and back down the long, winding corridor and down the flight of stairs. Rustling around in her bag, Elizabeth found her car keys and unlocked the car which opened with a beeping sound. Sitting into the supercar, she turned the key and the car’s 5.2 litre diesel engine thundered into life down the driveway of the school.
Eventually Elizabeth arrived home and parked her car. Opening the door, Tibbles walked over and started to purr softly against her leg. Bending down to rub him, “Hello there, little fella,” she exclaimed and then watched as he stealthily re-entered the bushes like a viper in search of his prey. Walking up to the vast doors, Elizabeth turned the key, and with a creaking sound from the doors, she strolled inside. She marched into the kitchen to find Donna sitting at the table and Donna exclaimed, “I had a bit of time off in the afternoon, so I said I’d come home for lunch, how was the interview?” and Elizabeth, mid-way through pouring herself a mug of coffee, replied, “It went rather well to be honest, the headmistress is lovely, its’s only her second year on the job.” Donna, munching her way through a ham and cheese sandwich, nodded, “good to see that you enjoyed it, it would be even better if you got the job, even if it was only on a temporary basis.” Frowning, Elizabeth looked at her sister, even if she meant well. She sat down at the table, buttered her sandwich and slowly ate. Suddenly Elizabeth’s phone rang and jumping up she exclaimed, “It’s the school!!”. Answering it, she could hear Katie’s voice on the other end, “Hello Elizabeth, I’ve been looking at the applications and reviewing the interviews all day, and I think you are the best candidate for the job, you start tomorrow at 9:00 am sharp, congratulations, I’m sure you will do a fantastic job, see you tomorrow.” Hanging up, Elizabeth smiled, and Donna looked at her and exclaimed, “You got it didn’t you? Sis, I am so proud of you, I knew you had it in you.” Elizabeth put her phone back in her Gucci handbag and sat back down, she was delighted, and nothing was going to bring her down no matter what. Donna stood up, looked at her watch and abruptly exclaimed, “I’m going to be late for my meeting, I’ve to meet with the other English lecturers about the exams.” Clearing her throat, Elizabeth watched as her sister walked out and she could hear the revving of her car as it raced down the drive. Standing up from the table, Elizabeth casually strolled up the stairs and into her bedroom.

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down