Shirt and Tie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Life in Italy

3 posters

Go down

Life in Italy Empty Life in Italy

Post by MatthewJames7 Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:29 pm

Rome is always a beautiful city to visit, and definitely a city that one should visit at least once in their lifetime. There is always something to see in Rome, the Colosseum, St Peter's Basilica, the Sistine chapel, Vatican City and many other countless things, if I did count them I would be counting for ages. It is a city that is immersed in history, and for me, being an author, this was the proverbial jackpot.

On the morning my story begins, I looked out from my hotel balcony at the main Rome city centre, there were people going in all different directions, some were hurrying off to work, others were walking with their children in the beautiful sunshine, there was not a cloud to see in the sky, it was a lovely clear day with a beautiful blue sky. At the moment I was visiting Rome on my holidays, but mostly it was looking at houses so that I could move here on a permanent basis after my recent divorce, I needed to get away from anything that reminded me of it. Integrating myself into life in Italy down the line would not be a problem because I spoke fluent Italian and had spent a year there during my Erasmus year in college. I had spent it mostly in Rome, but also small stints in Genoa and Palermo. 

I had scheduled to meet an estate agent this morning so I knew I had to look the part for it, there was no point turning up in a jeans and t-shirt, this called for something more formal, and luckily I had just the right thing for it. I had brought some of my suits and ties with me as I figured I would need them in a formal situation. Opening my wardrobe, I looked through its contents to decide what I would wear to the meeting with the estate agent. "Hmm, what to wear, what to wear?" I pondered, this was going to be tricky. Eventually I settled on a navy blue three piece suit and a red tie with grey polka dots on it. First thing was to have a shower, I did not want to appear unwashed and smelling of body odour. 

After my shower, I looked once more at the suit lying on my bed, this was the one I was sticking with. 

Putting on my bra and knickers, I picked up the slacks and ran my hands up and down them, the material was so soft and they always were so smooth and comfortable around my waist. After I put them on, I rummaged through my wardrobe to take out a leather belt to make sure they would be securely fastened so that I wouldn't have to keep pulling them up which was never a problem anyways because the suit had been made to my exact measurements. I had taken my shirt to the dry cleaners yesterday so it was freshly starched and had a lovely aroma of lavender fabric softener. Putting it on, I buttoned it all the way up to the top, including my top button, I was always very meticulous about how I dressed, and especially in a suit and tie. For years my only daughter had questioned me about my eccentric choice of attires, but as she developed into a very beautiful young woman she was rather impressed by how I looked, and would often tell me her opinion. Next came my tie, and placing it around my now upturned collar, I adjusted it so that the short end was in my left hand, and the wide end was in my right. "Hmm, I wonder what knot I shall wear." I decided to get a second opinion on it and texted my daughter, "hi baby, I am meeting with the estate agent today and I want to know what tie knot I should choose, sending a picture now."

I waited a few seconds for her reply which was, "after considerable thinking, I think you should wear a double Windsor knot, best of luck Mum, I'll see you tonight when my flight arrives in. I should be here at about 7:45, and we'll go out to dinner. See you soon, Caroline, x." 

Glad that I had a second opinion, I started to tie my tie. Folding my shirt collar up, I undid the top button and placed the necktie around my neck. Ensuring that the wide end of the tie is 6-7 inches below than the narrow end, I crossed it over the narrow end. I slipped the  through the gap between the neck and the tie knot, and kept pulling the tie all the way around until it was back behind the narrow end of the tie. I then repeated this with the other side. After this, I wrapped the wide end of the tie and brought it back over towards the front. I then pulled the wide end again through the gap between my neck and the knot loosely, so that a loop is created. Slipping the wide end of the knot through this newly created loop,  and I then adjusted and tightened it to neaten the knot and placed my collar back down over the necktie. Making sure it was snug against my collar, my double Windsor Knot was complete! I then made sure to close my top button once again. I then zipped up the zip on my slacks. Lastly came the waistcoat and blazer, and when I had put them on, I looked at myself one last time in the mirror, I had gone from a sad divorcee to a very powerful and confident looking woman. Locking my hotel room door behind me, I made my way down to the breakfast room, I knew I needed something that would keep me full until lunchtime. When I reached the hotel lobby, I noticed everyone looking at me with looks of awe on their face, they were stunned by how professionally dressed I was. Walking into the breakfast room, I noticed the same reaction from the other guests, one woman pointed at me to her daughter and exclaimed, "that's how you should wear your uniform at school, not this laidback fashion you normally wear it, I'm fed up of getting phone calls from your principal about your frequent flouting of the uniform dress code." 

Today was going to be a great, but busy day ahead.

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Life in Italy Empty Re: Life in Italy

Post by MatthewJames7 Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:25 am

After I had finished my breakfast, I stood up to put my plate on the tray that was for the washing up later on. Looking at myself in one of the lobby mirrors, I straightened my tie and smiled at my reflection, I looked great in my suit and tie, and it made me feel extremely confident. During the whole duration of my divorce settlement, I had lacked some self-confidence, but I felt better right now than I had been for the past eighteen months. 

I was on holiday, as well as business, and it felt so good to escape from the troubles of my divorce for even just a few days. I needed something to take my mind off it, and I knew going abroad would help, a change of surroundings to calm my nerves. 

Watching a taxi pull up, I got in and told the driver to take me into the main city centre where I was scheduled to meet my real estate agent. My phone notifications came through on my Apple Watch, though I had to set them to do not disturb while I was meeting the agent because I did not want to be antisocial or rude. The only person I wanted to receive notifications from was Caroline with updates regarding her travel arrangements just in case her flight would be delayed later today. 

Pulling up outside the apartment complex I was meeting the agent at, I payed the taxi driver who then drove off to pick up his next fare. Sitting down on a nearby bench, I decided to wait for the agent to arrive. About a half an hour later the agent had arrived, and standing up from the bench, it was no longer time to have fun, but time for business to get done. Shaking my hand, she exclaimed, "good morning, you must be Nicola, I am Giulia, your estate agent. I must apologise for being late, the traffic was extremely slow this morning, though it was mostly parents bringing their children to school. Anyways, let's get a move on, I can't sell you an apartment if we are just standing here chatting. I'll buy you a coffee when we're finished, and we can chitchat properly then." This was the beginning of my hectic day, though I needed a distraction from my divorce, and looking at properties would help me in both the short and long term. 

MatthewJames7

Lemmy Motorhead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:21 pm

In what seemed like an instant, the day had flown by. Looking at my watch, it was 6:45 which meant that Caroline's flight would be taking off soon. I arranged with Giulia to meet her again to finalise the details of my new apartment the following Thursday. 

I was walking through the city street when a woman and her young daughter approached me, the mother was clearly so happy to see me, she could hardly speak. "You're Nicola Fredericks, I've read all your books, I am a huge fan of yours, could I get your autograph?" Nodding, I replied, "sure, I'd be more than happy to." 

After I had finished giving the woman my autograph, I made my way back to the hotel to take a nap before I was to meet Caroline at the airport. Upon arrival at the hotel, I was then inundated with fans of my books outside the hotel waiting for me to interact with them. The hotel staff did not take kindly to this however, the manager ushering them away. "I would ask you all kindly to leave, Ms. Fredericks is an extremely busy woman today." Normally I would be more than delighted to interact with my fans, but I needed a rest, a day of looking at properties would take it out of someone. 

MatthewJames7

Lemmy Motorhead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lemmy Motorhead Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:29 pm

So far so good sir!
Lemmy Motorhead
Lemmy Motorhead

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:17 pm

Walking into the hotel lobby there were quite a few people there with cameras who wanted to take pictures of me, some of them were even news reporters and journalists, word had clearly spread that I was staying in the hotel and everyone swarmed in drones to see me, and being a famous author, I wasn't really surprised. Once again the manager walked over to the crowd of people with a disapproving glare, she was not accepting any breach of privacy for any of the hotel guests. 

"Kindly disperse, press representatives are not tolerated here without permission in advance." 

Taking a sigh of relief when the crowd had disappeared, I walked down the hall to summon the elevator. Pressing the button, I waited patiently for it to arrive, and within thirty seconds. Stepping in, I wanted to go to the seventh floor where my room was situated, I needed to just have a little nap for a few minutes before I was to get a taxi to meet Caroline at the airport. Setting an alarm on my phone, I lay down on the bed and fell asleep. 

Ten minutes later I was awoken by the timer on my phone going off. Standing up from the bed, I looked at myself in the mirror to see how I looked, I didn't want to let Caroline down while she was taking me out to dinner. Loosening my tie, I then upturned my collar and undid my top button to tie my tie again, I was going to do a Windsor knot again.

Last edited by MatthewJames7 on Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:24 pm

Lemmy Motorhead wrote:So far so good sir!

I modelled the tie off that of APL

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:11 pm

Truth be told I didn't feel as confident with my top button open, a loose tie and an upturned collar, it made the suit look rather lax, but I knew that this would only be a temporary issue, for all of about two minutes while I was tying my tie. Before I could start, there was a knock on my door, and turning down my collar, I walked over to it to see who it was. 

Opening it, I was met by one of the front desk staff. "Ms. Fredericks, I've had a phone call from the airport, your daughter's flight will be delayed for at least another hour, if not two, the plane is having engine trouble and it has not taken off yet, so she phoned me to tell you that she might not be able to make your dinner arrangements and that you are to go ahead with an alternative plan." 

After the staff member had walked away, I cursed under my breath, I was so looking forward to seeing Caroline, I hadn't seen her in a month and now it was likely that I wouldn't see her until the morning. Sitting down on my bed, I started sobbing, Caroline was the eldest of my two daughters, my other one, Lily, was living with her father and did not want to speak to me or interact with me in any way, she felt that she was the main victim of my divorce so she started to bear a grudge against me for it. I kept telling her that she or Caroline were not the victims in any way, but she wouldn't listen to me. In a way I was kind of relieved because over the years my husband bought her everything she wanted which had turned her into rather a spoiled and ungrateful brat. 

Feeling dejected, I decided to skip my dinner, get into my pyjamas, read my book and go to sleep for the night. 

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:50 am

At 8am I was awoken by the sound of various car horns blaring on the street. It was clearly early morning traffic, rush hour, truth be told. Everyone was either going to work or bringing their kids to school. Looking at my phone, I noticed a text from Caroline to say that she had stayed overnight in the airport, and would be arriving this morning at 10am. 

This meant I had two hours to get dressed and ready to meet her at the airport. It was action stations from here. Taking off my pyjamas, I first went for a shower, I did not want to smell bad for Caroline. 

Rummaging through my wardrobe, I picked out a navy pinstripe suit and a powder blue tie. This suit was one of my more expensive suits as well as being the first one I had bought from my very first book royalties. 

After putting on my bra and knickers, I started my dressing with the slacks which felt very comfortable around my waist, they had been tailor made to my exact measurements. If I was to be honest, they were probably my favourite part of the whole suit, except for the tie of course. Buttoning them and then pulling up the zip, I nodded approvingly at myself in the mirror. Glancing at my nicely folded shirt, I felt that the crucial part of a suit is what shirt one would wear with it. Putting it on, I popped up my collar and undid my top button so that my collar was loose. Placing the tie around my neck with the wide end on the right and the skinny end on the left, I  positioned the wide end lower than the skinny end. I then crossed the wide end over the skinny end towards the left, and then crossed it underneath the skinny end towards the right. Folding it up through the neck loop, I passed it down to the left side.I then crossed it over the skinny end towards the right. Folding it up through the neck loop from underneath, I smiled, the tie was beginning to take shape. Passing it down through the loop I created in the knot, I pulled it down on the wide end with my right hand to fasten the knot and then slid it up towards my neck. When I had finished, I looked at my freshly tied tie, it looked really good, a lovely half-Windsor knot, one of the first tie knots I learned when tying my tie every morning during my school years. The final bit of the suit was to do up my top button and then turn down my collar again so my tie was nice and snug against it. 

Just as I was about to put on my loafers, I noticed there was a bit of dirt on them, and bent down to wipe it off and then put them on along with a pair of white socks. At that moment my Apple Watch vibrated to signify a notification, and looking at it, I noticed it was 9:20am, Caroline would be arriving into the airport in forty minutes so I knew I had to get a move on fairly quickly. 

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:35 am

A few minutes later I had finished my breakfast, it was action stations from here. Handing my room key to the staff member at the front desk, I walked outside, and looking around me, there was a clear blue sky without a cloud in sight which made me feel more relaxed about my busy day ahead. 

Watching a taxi pull up, I got in and told the driver to bring me to the airport and asked how long it would take to get there. In broken English, he exclaimed, "about thirty five minutes or so with this traffic." I knew this would be cutting it close, but I had no choice, I did not want to be late to meet Caroline. Sitting back in my seat, I sighed, the traffic would probably make the journey even longer than thirty five minutes. 

"We'll be moving soon signora, don't worry." Adjusting my tie, I was still rather concerned about our time of arrival to the airport. Eventually we got moving after the traffic had thinned a bit which made me sigh with relief. 

I fell asleep for a few minutes and then I was woken by the taxi driver to tell me we were at the airport. Paying him, I got out of the taxi and made my way into the terminal to see if I could see Caroline coming through the arrivals gate. The flight information was up on one of the monitors nearby which showed me that Caroline's flight had arrived on time. While I was waiting, I decided to get myself a bottle of water in the nearest shop, though I was surprised when the 500ml bottle of water cost me €3.80, this was rather pricey for water. Walking back out into the main area, I noticed that the passengers from Caroline's flight were beginning to arrive, I was delighted to be able to see her after her holiday in New York. Spotting her coming out, I was rather surprised, if not stunned, when I saw that she was not alone. Taking a closer look, I was taken aback when I recognised the other person as Lily. 

Caroline hadn't told me that she was bringing Lily with her, and knowing Lily's grudge against me, I knew this was not going to be a good visit. 

Spotting me, she and Lily walked over to me, Caroline looked more excited to see me than Lily did, but there was something else that Caroline wasn't telling me. Hugging Caroline, I exclaimed excitedly, "oh, it's so good to see you sweetheart, and Lily too."

"Thanks Mum, and it's good to see you too. I was fed up with you and Lily arguing all the time so I brought her along so you two can bury the hatchet and be friends again."

Caroline then tenderly adjusted Lily's tie, exclaiming, "Lily, I brought you with me to become friends with Mum again, and being appropriately dressed in front of her is a starting point."

MatthewJames7

Evol likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:35 pm

Where do you guys want me to go from there? Do Nicola and Lily repair their broken mother-daughter relationship, and how? 

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by Evol Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:24 am

Hey Matthew, another great story I’m really invested. how about lily hates wearing a suit and tie totally despises it but over time gets jealous of Caroline and her mothers love and admiration towards each other and the suit and tie look so she forces herself to wear them to be close to Nicola. At some point she is shocked that not only does she want to wear only a suit and tie from now on but her and her mother are now best friends all because of the suit and tie

Evol

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:25 am

Evol wrote:Hey Matthew, another great story I’m really invested. how about lily hates wearing a suit and tie totally despises it but over time gets jealous of Caroline and her mothers love and admiration towards each other and the suit and tie look so she forces herself to wear them to be close to Nicola. At some point she is shocked that not only does she want to wear only a suit and tie from now on but her and her mother are now best friends all because of the suit and tie
Thanks Evol, hope you're keeping well. 

That sounds like a really good idea.

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by Evol Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:55 pm

Yes I’m thanks for asking

Evol

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:55 pm

Standing together, I exclaimed, "right, so what's the schedule for today?" I was normally the one to decide, but this time I decided to shift control over to Caroline.

"The schedule for today is as follows: Mum, you are taking Lily around the city for the day, you two can do what you wish, and then tonight at 7pm, we shall all rendezvous together for dinner which I am paying for, no ands ifs or buts. Lily, you are going to spend the day with Mum sorting out your disdain for her, and you will do as she says at all times. You are to comply with her requests without any fuss or objections, and you shall arrive for dinner tonight appropriately dressed. I have some work business I need to take care of so that will keep me busy for the day. See you two this evening for dinner." 

Walking back to our hotel room, I opened the door and sat down on my bed to talk with Lily. "Sweetheart, why do you dislike me?  I always equally treated you both with love and admiration, but you seem to think that you were the victim of the divorce which is not true in the slightest. You are transforming into a very beautiful young woman right before my very eyes, it seemed like only yesterday I was bringing you home from the hospital in my arms as a little bundle of joy, and now I see a very sophisticated, confident and extremely beautiful young woman in front of me. Lily, I never wanted to antagonise you in any shape or form, it was your father who was the unfaithful one, not me, but yet you seem to think that you were the victim of it all."

As we were talking, I could see that Lily was getting more and more disgusted about wearing a suit and tie, it was clear that she completely despised it. "Mum, can I take off this tie? I look so stupid with it, I don't see the importance of wearing something dangling down from your neck. Girls don't wear suits and ties, it's just not right, I feel like a cross-dresser."

"No you may not Lily, you are here as my daughter and I expect you to be properly dressed at all times. If I say you are to wear a suit and tie, then that is what you will wear without any objections. I will not put up with your complaining the whole time you are here with me. Now, before we go, stand in front of me, loosen your tie and turn up your collar. I'm tying your tie properly, and you will say nothing, is that understood? Excellent." I had given Lily a grey chalk-striped double breasted suit and a matching grey tie to wear.

Doing as she was told, Lily sighed, she was getting more and more embarrassed by her attire, and now especially the fact that I was about to tie her tie for her. "Turn up your collar for me, good girl." I watched as she then turned up her collar, and that Lily was going scarlet at the thought that she was twenty years old and I was still tying her tie for her.

Upturning her collar, I placed the tie around her neck with the wide end on the right and the skinny end on the left, and positioned the wide end lower than the skinny end. I then crossed the wide end over the skinny end towards the left. Folding it up through the neck loop from underneath and then passing it down to the left side, I felt confident that it would be a fantastic knot when I was finished. Crossing it underneath the skinny end towards the right, it reminded me of when every morning I would tie Lily and Caroline's ties for school many years ago. I then folded it through the neck loop and then passed it down to the right side. Crossing it over the skinny end towards the left, I could see that the knot was beginning to take shape. Folding it up through the neck loop from underneath, it was looking more and more awe inspiring as I was tying her tie.  Passing it down through the loop I created in the knot, I have to admit I had a wave of nostalgia from Lily and Caroline's school years, and watching them to go to school in their school uniform. For a little while they had been in a school that did not require a school uniform, but I did some research and found a school in the city that did require a uniform, I always felt students looked more appropriate and confident in a school uniform. Pulling down on the wide end to fasten the knot, I then slid it up towards her neck where it rested snuggly against her collar, and then I turned down her collar once again. 

"Voilà, a full Windsor knot. The first tie knot that your grandmother taught me when I was in school." Watching as Lily looked at herself in the mirror, I could see a gleam in her eyes that seemed to say to me that she was slowly beginning to like how she was dressed. When I had finished tying her tie, Lily sat down in the armchair in the corner of the room, and smiled, she was warming to her new look. "Mum, I'm sorry, I felt disdain towards you because I felt that I was the victim of you and dad's divorce, I was wrong to bear a grudge against you, can you ever forgive me? By the way, I think I'm liking this suit and tie, I think I've found some newfound confidence how I am dressed, and I can see now why you were such a stickler for us being up to code with the school's uniform dress code. I guess I suppose for a while I also felt that you loved and admired Caroline more than I, but now I know the truth, you love both equally. Can we be best friends again?" I felt a tear of joy running down my cheek, Lily had finally dropped her grudge against me after several months.

"Sweetheart, of course I can forgive you, I never wanted either of us to have any ill will towards each other, and of course we can be friends again. I don't believe in favouritism, it was your father who instilled those ideas in your head, and he bought you everything which made me feel that he had turned you into a spoilt and ungrateful brat, but you are not a brat one bit, you are my beautiful young daughter as well as my baby and I vowed from the moment you were born that I would protect you from any harm. Anyways, let's get a move on, I have a few things planned for today and I would like it very much if you would like to join me." Hugging me, Lily exclaimed, "I love you Mum" to which I replied, "and I love you too sweetheart. You look absolutely stunning in that suit and tie, and the first thing I'm doing once I have purchased a house here in Rome, and you two come to live with me, I am buying you some more suits and ties." Giggling, Lily excitedly exclaimed, "thanks Mum. I am extremely proud to be your daughter and even more proud of you being a multi millionaire author." Kissing her on the head, I was truly flattered by her kind sentiment. "Thanks baby, anyhoo, let's get a move on, I'll buy you some breakfast in town and then we can go sightseeing." The whole time we were in the elevator down to the lobby, Lily was looking at her suit and tie with awe, it was clear as crystal that she was so proud of her new look which gave me a heartwarming feeling, I always wanted her to be happy and now it seemed she was ecstatic.

MatthewJames7

Evol likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:49 am

A few minutes later we had found a little café to have some breakfast, and walking inside, I noticed that Lily and I were the only female patrons in the place, it was all men other than us. Looking at how everyone, the staff included, were dressed, I had reason to believe that this was a rather extravagant café, they were all dressed in a suit and tie, and the staff were wearing a catering uniform and a tie.

Finding a booth, Lily and I sat down where we were greeted by a very pleasant waitress, I figured she was a senior member of the café's staff. Handing us a couple of menus, she walked away with the same pleasant smile on her face, she clearly loved her job.

While we were pondering what we would eat, Lily and I watched as a woman burst into the café upon watching us sit down. 

"You, you're Nicola Fredericks, the author, I am a huge fan of yours. I love your books, could you sign one for me?" It was then that I noticed the café owner walk over to us with a scowl on her face, she was not going to let the woman disturb us. "Excuse me, but there are two things wrong here. Firstly, you don't just burst in here like a bull in a China shop to disturb my patrons, and secondly, your attire is not tolerated here. All patrons who enter this café are to wear a suit and properly tied tie at all times. Either come back properly dressed, or leave and be on your way. I will not tolerate any antisocial behaviour on these premises."

After the woman had left, I faced Lily once again, exclaiming, "good thing I made you wear your suit and tie." Nodding, she straightened her tie, "indeed."

The owner, a lovely woman called Blanca then walked over to us, "Ms. Fredericks, I did not know that it was you. I'm truly honoured that you would dine here in this café this morning, and I must also apologise for that woman's behaviour, I do not tolerate people disturbing my patrons like that. As an apology, I would like to offer you both breakfast on the house, it's the least we can do for you." Hearing this, one of the male patrons stood up and confronted the manager, the patron was disgusted by the whole thing, and angrily exclaimed, "you're giving her a free breakfast because she's a famous author as well as the fact that she was disturbed while she and her bratty daughter over there were contemplating what to eat. The manager's face was turning more and more red with rage, she couldn't believe the audacity of the male patron and his rather unsavoury words. He was dragging himself further into the mire when he made some sexist and misogynistic remarks about Lily and I.

Before Blanca could say or do anything, I stuck out my hand, "I'll handle this one Blanca." 

Walking over to the man, I aggressively grabbed him by his tie and pinned him against the wall so he was facing me eye to eye. "Listen to me pally, and listen good. I am extremely offended by your disgusting remarks, and especially towards my daughter. You belched earlier which I think is absolutely revolting, and you have the nerve to come here and think you can say what you like without any trouble. You call yourself a man? I don't see any indication that you are a mature gentleman, but in fact you are the opposite. Now, apologise to my daughter and I, after which you may leave with some shred of dignity." After pushing his tie up to his neck so that it was almost sucking the breath of him, I was getting more and more irate, and I was nearly as red as the manager. Eventually I got an apology out of him and then the manager escorted him off the premises, as well as banning him from the café. Sighing, I just wanted to eat some breakfast with Lily without any more hassle. 

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:56 pm

Just as we were about to start eating, another man walked over to, and with a resigned sigh, I wondered what he wanted. "I'm so sorry to interrupt your breakfast, but I must apologise for that guy, he's a fellow politician, but his manners aren't exactly what you would call excellent. I'm going into town this afternoon and I would like it very much if you would join me for lunch, think of it as an apology for my colleague's behaviour."

After the man walked away, Lily exclaimed, "I smell love in the air, Mum." Laughing, I replied, "I've only just met the man sweetheart, nothing is set in stone yet."After we had finished eating Blanca had asked if she could take a picture together which I was more than happy to oblige. When we had finished, Blanca exclaimed, "that's going on my wall of celebrities. Once again, I am truly honoured that you chose to dine with us this morning. I hope you will visit this café again soon, and I'd be delighted if you would recommend it to your friends, every bit of business counts." Standing up from the table, Lily and I walked outside, our day was just getting started. 

"Lily, sweetheart, what do you want to do today?" Chuckling, she replied, "Can we go shopping and buy me some more suits and ties?" Kissing her on the head, I exclaimed, "of course we can baby, I would be delighted to buy you some suits, though why the sudden change in opinion? Before now, you disliked wearing a suit and tie, and now you love the look, what changed your view on them?"

Tenderly adjusting her tie, Lily replied, "I looked at myself in the mirror once I had put on the suit and tie, and it revealed a confidence that I never knew I had deep down. I was spellbound by how much more confident I felt, as well as being smartly dressed. You were always being a stickler for uniform discipline when we were in school, and now I completely understand why."

MatthewJames7

Evol likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:32 am

Where do you want me to go from here Evol?

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by Evol Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:47 am

when they’re at the Tailors buying Lily her new suits she admits to her mom because of their rekindle relationship and her new found confidences that she wrote a book but was to scared to show anyone Nicola can help her publish it maybe it becomes a hit the go on signing tour lily could also get a whole makeover before they leave new haircut like her mom’s I also like the idea of Nicola’s ex husband freaking out about the new lily

Evol

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:59 pm

Lily and I sat down on a nearby bench, and taking a map out of my handbag, we thoroughly examined it so that we could find the location of the tailor. I was sipping the last few drops of what was now a cold cup of coffee which I had bought from a nearby shop. Dumping the cup into a rubbish bin, Lily and I continued on our search to find the tailors that someone in the street had recommended to us, but we couldn't find it anywhere. After what seemed like an eternity, we found it at the top of the street, it was a large building that was big enough to match a department store in size. Looking at the window displays, I could see that it looked like a very expensive tailors, but being a multi billion euro successful author, nothing was too expensive, though I am not saying that in a snobby way or anything, I always thought snobs were very rude people and I made it my mission to not have to interact with them, especially one of my former neighbours who would always hold extravagant dinner parties so that she could impress everyone who would listen, though they were usually oblivious to it, or just feigned being impressed. Everyone in the area hated her, and anytime that I was out, I would come home to either Lily or Caroline telling me that she had swung by.

The suits in the window looked absolutely fabulous, these were clearly designed to be worn by elite level clientele, and now Lily was about to be in that ilk. Turning to me with awe, Lily exclaimed, "Mum, they're amazing, can I buy more than one suit and tie today?" Enthralled by Lily's newfound love for a suit and tie, I chuckled, "Lily, before you had even thought of asking that very question, I was planning to buy you several of them. I am extremely proud of your newfound love for a suit and tie, sweetheart, you look absolutely gorgeous wearing them, and in one day you have even worn one better than your father and I was married to him for twenty-five years." 

Walking inside, we were greeted by a woman who had a tape measure draped over her shoulders. Jotting down something on a small notepad, she then looked up and noticed us. "Oh, my humble apologies, I didn't see you guys there. Once I'm in the working mode, I don't seem to take notice of anything else. I am Sienna, I am the owner and founder of this store, and I am extremely delighted to welcome you here today, how can we help you with your sartorial needs? Wait a second, you're Nicola Fredericks, the author?"

Just before I was about to speak, Sienna noticed one of her employees walking around the shop. "Maria, how many times do I have to tell you to put on your tie? This is an elite level business and I expect all of my staff to be properly dressed at all times."

Turning back to me, she exclaimed, "Ms Fredericks, I am truly honoured that you would visit my shop today, I am a huge fan of your books, and I would be delighted to help you both with anything you may need. Take your time looking around the shop and come back to me if you have any queries regarding our suits."

As we were walking around the shop, I could see that something was bothering Lily, it was if she had a secret that she did not want to tell anyone. Sitting down in two chairs, I faced Lily, wondering what her predicament was. 

"Mum, can I tell you something that I haven't told anyone else? Promise me you won't laugh."

"Sweetheart, I wouldn't dream of it. Anyways, what is this secret?" 

Sighing, she replied, "you remember all those evenings I would go up to my room to chill out after school? I was actually writing a book, but I didn't want to tell anyone about it because I was afraid that people would be too critical of it and I wouldn't be a successful author like you."

Trying to hold back tears of joy, I hugged her, "Lily, you did? Sweetheart, I'm extremely proud of you, writing a book is hard work. You have definitely inherited my creative abilities." Two hours later we had purchased the suits and ties, I have to admit I was very proud of Lily's sartorial transformation, before we rekindled our relationship, Lily hated wearing a suit and tie, but now she was ecstatic about wearing them.

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:35 pm

Later that day, Lily asked me if I could take her to a hair salon to get a new hairstyle that resembled mine which I was rather flattered by. In the end we had bought 10 suits and ties, as well as a tuxedo. 

The city centre was extremely busy, people seemed to be passing us left right and centre, though being a Monday summer afternoon I was not all that surprised. Walking around the city centre to find a salon, someone pointed out a rather exclusive one for us. 

We were greeted at the reception by a middle aged woman who was wearing a black skirt suit and a red polka dot tie in a half Windsor knot. "Greetings, I am sorry but this salon is reserved for famous people, we have a very exclusive clientele. Wait a minute, you're Nicola Fredericks, the author, I must apologise for my rude introduction." 

Chuckling, I replied, "no need to apologise one bit. This is my daughter Lily, and she asked me if she could get a haircut like mine, could you pencil her in?" 

"Of course, take a seat over there and we'll be with you in a few minutes."

Pointing us to a couch, Lily and I sat down while we waited for a vacancy. Watching as she put her hands in mine, she exclaimed, "I was afraid to tell anyone about my book, Mum, even you."

Brushing her hair back with my left hand, I replied, "Lily, I would have been the first person to congratulate you on it. Sweetheart, you never have to be afraid to tell me anything.  I will support you every step of the way, never forget that."

MatthewJames7

Evol likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:14 am

Next part which would be the signing tour will probably be posted tomorrow.

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:15 am

A few days later Lily had decided to get a haircut because her book was having a launch event, and she wanted to look the part for it. Hours after the bookstores had her book in stock, they rapidly sold out. From what I had heard in the street, Lily's book had gone by storm, people couldn't get enough of it. 

"Lily, sweetheart, the launch starts in two and a half hours. Time to get ready for it, any idea on what you are going to wear to it?" Nodding, she replied, "yes, I'm going to wear the navy skirt suit and the blue tie. Would you tie my tie for me Mum?" 

"Sweetheart, I would be delighted, no, honoured to tie your tie for you. I am extremely proud of you."

At that moment I heard a knock on our door, and opening it, I sighed when I saw that it was my ex-husband Eric.

"Eric, how wonderful to see you here, how did you know where we were staying and our room number?"

"I happened to notice your bookings, so I arrived here to see you. Lily? Sweetheart, what in blazes have you done to your hair, and why are you in a suit?"

Lily had taken an inch or two off her hair, and decided to get some Ombré at the tips. 

"Lily, you didn't book this flight did you?"

"No, Caroline did."

"Dad, I've decided to come here to live full time with Mum."

"But you dislike her intensely."

"we rekindled our relationship with each other, and now I want to live in Rome full time with her. Now, if you would kindly excuse us, Mum and I have to go to an event to celebrate my first book launch."

After a few minutes, he had left and now it was just Lily and I in the room again. Standing in front of her, I exclaimed, "collar up for me, and undo your top button while I'm tying your tie for you, good girl. Your first book signing, I am so so proud of you baby, you have definitely inherited my creative abilities."

I started to tie her tie. Folding her shirt collar up, I undid the top button and placed the necktie around her neck. Ensuring that the wide end of the tie is 6-7 inches below than the narrow end, I crossed it over the narrow end. I slipped the through the gap between her neck and the tie knot, and kept pulling the tie all the way around until it was back behind the narrow end of her tie. I then repeated this with the other side. After this, I wrapped the wide end of the tie and brought it back over towards the front. I then pulled the wide end again through the gap between her neck and the knot loosely, so that a loop is created. Slipping the wide end of the knot through this newly created loop,  and I then adjusted and tightened it to neaten the knot and placed her collar back down over the necktie. Making sure it was snug against her collar, Lily's double Windsor Knot was complete!

Watching her turn her collar down again and closing her top button, I exclaimed, "you look absolutely gorgeous sweetheart. Anyhoo, let's get a move on, we don't have time for any more faffing about. We have several places to visit up and down the country over the next fortnight during the signing tour.  We've ones in Bari, Palermo, Turin, Milan, Matera, Florence, Venice among others. We've been given an itinerary for the dates so everything is taken care of. Our first one is here in Rome, and then tomorrow we start travelling which has been completely arranged for us."

Straightening Lily's tie one last time, we then walked out of our hotel room on the first of our signing tour events. 

MatthewJames7

Evol likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:52 am

Walking outside, I noticed that there was a limousine parked outside the door, and the driver was waiting patiently for us. 

"Mrs. Fredericks? I am Paolo, your chauffeur."

Nice to meet you Paolo, and it's Ms. Fredericks, I'm no longer married, and Fredericks is also my birth name which I reverted back to when my divorce was finalised."

"Oh, my humble apologies. I am here to take you both to the signing tour here in Rome. It shall be a twenty minute drive, and there is a complimentary glass of champagne for you both if you would like to partake of it." 

Thank you, but I don't drink, and neither does my daughter." 

Getting into the limo, Lily and I sat back in the seats which were extremely comfortable. Taking my hand, she exclaimed, "I'm slightly nervous Mum, I've never done this kind of thing before."

"No need to be afraid, sweetheart, I've been doing book signing tours since you were only a baby, and they're always great fun, plus you meet a lot of nice people there."

"Will you be my date to any of the other events Mum?"

"Of course I will baby, I would be delighted, no, I would be honoured to be your date. You are my greatest creation, and I am truly blessed to have a beautiful young woman like you as my daughter." I knew that from this moment that things would be perfectly ok during the tour events

MatthewJames7

Evol likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:01 pm

Pulling up outside the building where the tour was being held, I watched Lily take a deep breath, it was clear that she was both slightly nervous as well as quite energetic about the whole thing, from what she and I read on social media, her book had taken the literary world by storm, and everyone wanted a copy of it. I was in awe of Lily that she had started writing books so young, I hadn't written my first one until I was 32 and that was twenty years ago. Now Lily was coming along writing her first one before she had even turned 21. As we stepped out of the limo, we were greeted by a woman dressed in a navy pinstripe pantsuit and a silver necklace around her neck in the shape of a wave. 

"Buona sera, you must be Nicola, I am Maria, I am the event manager and it is a pleasure to welcome you both to our event. This beautiful young woman must be the famous Lily, it seems your book has taken the literary world by storm. Anyways, we are ready to start whenever you want to, no rush. You take your time to get settled before you start, oh by the way, in case you're looking for the bathroom, it's just down the corridor and to the left."

After a few minutes Lily had decided to start the launch, and I has asked me to sit next to her while onstage. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, I welcome you all here today, we are joined at this time by Lily Fredericks, author of the bestselling book A Summer's Dream, and her mother Nicola who is a bestselling author in her own right. For the next ten or fifteen minutes Lily will speak, and then you will all have an opportunity to get your books signed by her outside in the corridor where we have a table set up. Questions shall remain until the end of the talk. I must also ask that you put your phones on silent for the duration of the event. Lily, the stage is yours."

Under the table, she gripped my hand, and whispered, "I'm slightly nervous Mum" to which I replied, "it's ok baby, just be calm and everything will be fine." Reaffirmed by my words, Lily began talking about the book, and I did not see one iota of nervousness in her. 

MatthewJames7

Evol likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:38 pm

A little while later after the talk and the questions had concluded, Lily was walking around the hall interacting with the audience when a strikingly beautiful girl in a navy black tuxedo walked over to her. I was interested to see what would happen, and I happened to hear their conversation.

"You must be the famous Lily, I've heard quite a lot about you, all praise of course. I am Irina, and it's a pleasure to meet you. This is slightly out of the blue, but I was wondering if you would like to join me for dinner tonight? You are perfectly welcome to decline though." Watching them talk, I noticed Irina playfully adjusting Lily's tie while giggling. As Irina and Lily were chatting, I had a radiant smile on my face, as a mother I had never seen Lily so happy with anyone else in her life, and now she and Irina were both really enjoying each other's company. 

Walking over to me, Lily exclaimed, "Mum, this is Irina."

"Pleasure to meet you Irina, I'm Nicola, Lily's mother."

"Ms. Fredericks, I am truly honoured to be in the presence of a literary genius."

Flattered, I replied, "don't mind all that fancy stuff, call me Nicola."

"Mum, would you mind if I went out for dinner with Irina?"

"Sweetheart, you certainly can, I'll do my own thing and then I'll meet you back at our hotel room. I might be asleep when you get back, but wake me up when you arrive just so I know it's you. Anyways, you two have fun, I'll see you later baby." 

MatthewJames7

Evol likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:21 pm

About two hours later, I was back in my hotel room watching a movie on my MacBook when I heard my phone ring, and looking at the caller ID, I noticed that it was the emergency services. 

"Hello Ms. Fredericks, I'm sorry to ring you at this time but I'll need you to come in to the hospital, your daughter was having her dinner with that Irina girl when a critic of Lily's book who happened to be dining in the same restaurant came over and assaulted her. Her injuries are not remotely critical but we want to keep her overnight so that we can run some tests with her in the morning."  

"Thank you, I'll be there in an instant." Trying to muffle a scream, I then rang Caroline to tell her, "Caroline, meet me at the hospital in twenty minutes, it's urgent."

Locking my hotel door behind me, I ran towards the elevator to take me down to the lobby. When I reached the lobby, I was met by a woman who was asking for an autograph, and said to her, "I'm sorry but I can't do it at this time, you're here until Friday so I can do it tomorrow, I just have to get the hospital now." 

Hailing a taxi, I got in and exclaimed, "the hospital right away." 

"Ok" the driver exclaimed, she knew from the look in my eyes that something serious was on my mind.

MatthewJames7

Evol likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:59 pm

Eventually we arrived at the hospital after encountering very busy traffic which made me feel even more anxious about Lily's condition. Walking into the hospital, I asked a nurse where to go to find Lily, and after strolling down nearly every corridor, I found her room. There was another nurse at the door who looked rather austere, not the kind of woman one would mess with. 

"I'm sorry but there are no visitors permitted at this time, you are outside of visiting hours so I'll have to ask you kindly to leave."

Disgusted by this, I replied, "I'm her mother, surely you can make an exemption for me."

"No, I cannot, you shall have to return during the visiting hours."

At that moment we heard a voice exclaim, "seriously Eva? You are not going to allow the renowned author Nicola Fredericks to see her daughter?"

"Doctor, it's against the rules to let people in outside of visiting hours."

"Eva, go and do something productive instead of explaining the rules to me. Nicola, you may stay as long as you want to, don't mind Eva, she plays by the book, but I'm more a laid back person." 

Lily was asleep when I arrived, though Irina was sitting in a chair crying, and I did not blame her one bit. Sitting down next to her, she put her hand in mine, "I'm sorry Nicola, I should have defended her, but I happened to be in the bathroom when the assault happened. This is all my fault." 

Comforting her, I replied, "don't think like that for one second Irina, you did all you could, and you saved her life for which I am truly grateful. Fancy a cup of coffee to lift your spirits?"

"Yes, I'd love one."

As we were walking down the corridor it was filled with all sorts of noises such as people coughing, the sound of glass breaking, staff frantically going in all different directions and other things. I knew that it was an extremely renowned hospital just from looking at the luxurious wallpaper and the various decorations that were made during its construction. Hearing the sound of a moving trolley, I watched as one of the nurses brought a patient down the corridor who was connected to an IV drip. Noticing the charred skin on his legs, it was clear that he had burned himself quite extensively, though from what I did not know. His groans told me that he was in serious pain, and possibly life threatening pain I might add. Just looking at him, and I was no medic, he had clear signs of third degree burns which meant that he had been in a very serious accident. Sipping my coffee, Irina and I sat down while watching the news on the closest TV to us. While we were sitting down, a young man walked past us and winked at Irina who was completely disgusted, and when his back was turned, gave him a vulgar gesture and then cursed under her breath to which I exclaimed, "Irina! Compose yourself, you are in a hospital." A little while later we went back to check on Lily who had woken up from her sleep. Seeing me walk into the room, she had a very radiant smile on her face. Walking over to her, I kissed her on the forehead and hugged her gently, "I'm so glad you're awake sweetheart, I was so worried about you, after all you are my baby girl, and I will always make sure you are safe from harm." I didn't get to meet Caroline at the hospital because she had to take an emergency flight home to sort out a few things, so I only got to meet Lily. 

"My suit, Mum, where is my suit?"

"Don't worry about it baby, the doctors have sent it to the cleaners to get the bloodstains out of it. You just focus on your recovery." 

MatthewJames7

Evol likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:16 pm

"But what about the signing tour, people will be so disappointed if I don't show up to the events, I'm a hit with the literary world and I don't want to disappoint people Mum, I really don't." 

Chuckling, I replied, "it's ok sweetheart, it's all been taken care of. The doctors spoke with the event managers and told them of what had occurred, plus it had also spread quite quickly in the news that you had been assaulted, so naturally quite a lot of people know which means there won't be any backlash against you for not showing up."

At that moment one of the doctors walked into the room with a clipboard in his left hand, and to my amazement I noticed he was not wearing a wedding band, so I assumed he just preferred not to wear it in the workplace. Spotting me looking at his ringless hand, he chuckled slightly, "you assumed I was either single or chose not to wear my wedding band, but the truth is I don't because I'm a widower and wearing it would bring back painful memories of the day my wife died, she was my first true love, and only seven months after we were married she suddenly passed away which broke my heart. Not only was she a very beautiful woman, she was also an exceptionally kind one and would be there for anyone who needed some help."

"Oh, I am sorry to hear that, it must have been very tough for you over the past few years without her. I am just recently divorced, it didn't work out in the end, but that's life I suppose." After a few minutes chatting, the doctor walked out of the room to attend to his other patients allowing me to sit in the chair next to Lily's bed. She was slightly scarlet, it was clear that she had been a little embarrassed by my chatting with the doctor as she believed I was hitting on him. 

"Mum, that was really inappropriate."

"Sweetheart, I didn't do anything wrong, but I will admit he is rather a dashing man, surely you have to agree with that?"

"Ok, I will openly admit that. He is gorgeous." 

A little while later he returned to check on Lily to make sure everything was all good. Satisfied, he began to walk out of the room again when he stopped abruptly. "Nicola, this probably sounds rather hurried or something like that, but I was wondering if you would like to go out for dinner tomorrow night? You seem like a very nice woman and I'd like to get to know you a bit more if that's ok with you?"

Overcome by his kind offer, I replied, "I'm extremely flattered by your kind invitation, and I couldn't say no to it, I need the company of another man in my life after my divorce." Lily was slightly mixed about it in contrast to my feeling of being over the moon. "Mum, do you not think it's a little rushed so quickly after you and Dad's divorce? I'm just trying to look out for you and have your best interests at heart, I don't want to see you getting hurt romantically again. You had lunch with that politician man the other day and now you're going out for dinner tomorrow night with my doctor. It seems every guy in Rome is trying to hit on you and you go weak in the knees at the prospect of it."

"Sweetheart, I'm 43 years old, at my age there is no such thing as rushed, usually people by now are in very healthy and happy relationships which last the rest of their lives, but I was not one of those people, I was married to your father for twenty one fantastic years and then he threw it down the toilet for a paralegal who was just a couple of years older than you, so in a way I'm quite flattered by guys here hitting on me, though I just want to find the right person for me, I'm not just going to go on a date with an average Joe person for the sake of it, I want to find the person who is right for me. In time you'll learn to see where I'm coming from. That's something I never told either of you, I was raped when I was seventeen and gave birth to Caroline, and then I was married at 22 and not long after that I gave birth to you. My childhood wasn't exactly the best either, your grandad, on my side, was a raging alcoholic, and he was extremely abusive towards your grandma, she lived in constant fear of him, us too. He drank, smoked and gambled away most of our money, at least the money he could get his hands on. To keep him from getting at any money your grandmother had, she always sent it to her sister Karen so that we'd at least have enough set aside to pay for our education growing up. There were extremely wealthy students in my year at school whereas I was in the other side of the coin, and many of them were elitist snobs who looked down on those they considered beneath them. Emily, your godmother and my best friend of 38 years, she came from an extremely wealthy family, but there was not one single snobbish bone in her body, if anything she was slightly embarrassed by the stigma of being wealthy. She did not care one bit about being wealthy, no, she cared more so about being a friend to as many people as possible regardless of their financial standings."

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down