Shirt and Tie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fame and Fortune

3 posters

Go down

Fame and Fortune  Empty Fame and Fortune

Post by MatthewJames7 Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:35 am

Life as an author is not an easy thing, some of the books you write are suited for some people and some you write are suited to others. You would have your critics who might say the book isn't great, others would say it's fantastic. I was lucky in that I had already written a few bestsellers, but I don't say that to be bragging or anything, I was never one of brag about my achievements in other people's faces, my parents never did it and their parents never did it either, they all thought bragging about things like that was highly rude in conversation. I was always modest in conversation, though my next door neighbour was the polar opposite of me, she was always very self centred and egotistical, she always loved to wave her social achievements in other people's faces and would always invite us to one of her extravagant dinner parties which were always so boring but we were nearly forced to go so that she would be satisfied. At her dinner parties she always used me to further herself, she always used to brag that she had a famous neighbour, something which would make me go scarlet with embarrassment. I knew I had some fame from writing my books but I did not care that much about the fame and the money that came from the books, I wrote more so for the enjoyment of it, it was almost like an escape from the hurly-burly of stress and the like, when I was writing, I almost pictured myself in the book as I was writing it. As I was about to sit down and write some more of my latest book, I heard the doorbell ring. Sighing, I stood up to answer it. When I saw through the peephole to see who it was, and saw that it was Maria, my snobbish neighbour, I thought to myself, "Christ, what does she want?" Reluctantly I opened the door, and Maria exclaimed, "Carrie, I want to invite you to come to my dinner party this evening, formalwear of course, a dress or a suit and tie. I'm having some of the other people around too so there'll be plenty of opportunity to mingle, and bring the girls with you." Watching her turn on her heel, I sighed again, I knew my evening was going to be absolute hell. Even a glimpse of Maria at times nearly made me want to puke. Walking out from the living room with a glass of Coke in her hand, my eldest daughter Sarah exclaimed, "did I hear an invitation to a Maria dinner party tonight?"" Nodding, I replied, "you certainly did love, you certainly did." Walking back into my office, I sat down in the armchair I kept in the office if I ever wanted to snooze if I was tired from writing. I was looking through an issue of Vogue that I had bought yesterday in the shop, I nearly always bought it to flicker through it. Not that she was ever short of money or anything, I used to give my other neighbour Michelle the copies of Vogue when I was finished with them. She had a fashion business so she would always re reading Vogue to see what new designs were coming in from abroad and what shows were taking place. Like me, Michelle was also often the subject of Maria's bragging, and it used to drive Michelle and I mad. Maria would always take us around the room and introduce us to people, exclaiming, "these are my famous neighbours Michelle and Carrie, they're very famous, Michelle is an award winning designer, and Carrie writes books, they're both wealthy, that'll teach the other snobs a thing or two." Michelle and I used to look at each with a look that seemed to say, "will Maria ever shut her mouth?" Clapping my hands together, I exclaimed, "girls, time to into town, we''ve to get all dressed up for the party no matter how much we don't want to go. My husband Fabio lived abroad for work purposes so it was only my five daughters called Francesca, Sarah, Laura, Elizabeth (Liz as we called her) and Megan and I at home, though Francesca and Megan lived further up the country in full time jobs, so it was only really Laura, Liz, Sarah and I. "Girls, I've decided that you are all wearing a suit tonight."

Since I can't put in a poll, let me know if the girls should each wear a tie with their suits or not and leave their top buttons open and each wear a necklace

Last edited by MatthewJames7 on Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total

MatthewJames7

stricttie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Fame and Fortune  Empty Re: Fame and Fortune

Post by auroki Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:05 am

New story eh? You still gonna work on the other one?

auroki

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:24 am

auroki wrote:New story eh? You still gonna work on the other one?
Yes, I find the more I write helps me practice my writing skills

MatthewJames7

auroki likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by auroki Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:14 am

MatthewJames7 wrote:

Tis a good mindset to have. I do a similar thing with D&D campaign ideas. If you only focus on one thing you risk losing great ideas for seperate stories as well.

Also to answer your question in the story, I think you should have one of the girls wear a necktie with their suit. Have them say they got the idea after seeing someone on Instagram do it. Make it a slight homage to your other story without being too direct

auroki

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:32 am

auroki wrote:
MatthewJames7 wrote:

Tis a good mindset to have. I do a similar thing with D&D campaign ideas. If you only focus on one thing you risk losing great ideas for seperate stories as well.

Also to answer your question in the story, I think you should have one of the girls wear a necktie with their suit. Have them say they got the idea after seeing someone on Instagram do it. Make it a slight homage to your other story without being too direct
It certainly is. Never quite got into D&D myself. Exactly. 

To answer your reply, I think that's a good idea. I posted a couple of added posts to my other story if you want to check it out.

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:50 am

Walking around the town, I was amazed at how many people were walking around, some of them carrying several shopping bags in their hands, and others just walking around with headphones in so it seemed they were just out for the exercise. Scanning the street, I eventually found the shop I was looking for, it was a new shop that had only opened a few days ago, and I had heard rave reviews about it so I decided to give it a try. Making my way into the shop, I looked around me, it was a beautiful interior, the paintwork made it look even more luxurious. Looking up from the counter, a woman walked over to us with a tape measure draped over her shoulder, "hello, I'm Candice, we recently opened this shop. How can I help you?" As I was like around the shop in awe, I replied, "I'm looking for some suits for my daughters and I to wear to a party tonight." Nodding, Candice replied, "sure, go have a look around and let me know if you have any questions."

It seemed to me that they sold some very expensive suits just by looking at the price tags, but also ones for the average budget. On one shelf there were a pile of new shirts, another had the blazers and trousers,  they had everything you needed in a suit, and another shelf was devoted to accessories such as tie pins. Picking up a suit from the rack, I exclaimed, "Can we try on some of the suits Candice?" Looking up from the book she was reading, Candice replied, "go for it." After a few minutes we all tried on various different suits. I was just about to walk over to the rack to put the suit I tried on back on the rack when Laura exclaimed, "Mum? Can I wear a tie with my suit? I saw a page on Instagram of a girl in England who wears them frequently." This piqued my interest, "a tie? Sweetheart, why would you want to wear a tie?" I noticed Liz and Sarah giggle slightly at this, exclaiming, "girls! Stop that immature giggling, if your sister wants to try on a tie, let her." I was not sure myself as to how it would look, I had never seen any of them wearing a tie before, their school did not have a school uniform code so it meant that I never saw them in any proper formal clothing. Reluctantly, I sighed, "ok, sweetheart, you can try one on, but don't dilly dally, we haven't got all day, and remember just because you see someone else doing something, it doesn't mean that you have to do it too, social media is a vast thing." Smiling contentedly, Laura picked a tie off the tie rack and walked back into the changing room. Liz had opted for a cream coloured skirt suit, Sarah had opted for a navy pinstripe suit, and Laura had opted for a black blazer and a pair of beige slacks. Laura was taking a long time to try the tie on, and eventually I walked into the changing room to see that she was struggling to tie her tie. "Laura, sweetie, I told you that we don't have time to dilly dally, now, I'll do your tie for you this time, but if you decide to wear it to the party, we are going to spend the afternoon practicing." Taking the tie in my hands, I exclaimed, "collar and your head up for me." I had decided to tie it in a triple Windsor knot. I was not completely sure why Laura had decided to wear a tie like that girl in the Instagram page, but if Laura wanted to try one on, I suppose I had no major issues with it.

MatthewJames7

stricttie, Evol and auroki like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:36 am

We took a few minutes looking at various ties for Laura to wear, and we eventually settled on a light blue striped tie. Eventually we decided on our clothes and we all changed back into our casual clothes. Paying for the suits, we walked back out onto the street, "come on girls, time to get ready for the party, I know you don't want to go, but we have to for Maria's sake." Getting into the car, we all sighed, tonight was going to be a long evening. The streets were crowded with cars going in all directions which was no surprise considering it was Friday evening and the shops were open late on a Friday which meant that people would be shopping after work. Pulling up to our house, I walked inside. Looking at my watch, it was almost half six, signifying that Maria's dinner party would be starting in an hour.  Opening the fridge, I rummaged around until I found my bottle of water and took a large sip. As I previously mentioned, we were teetotal, but Maria nearly made me want to drink. Sitting down at our kitchen island, I was flickering through the various magazines I had laying on it, Tatler, Vogue, etc etc, but there were no articles worthwhile for me to look at. Standing up, I sighed, this evening was going to be absolute hell, the girls and I did not wish to attend the party, but we had no choice due to being neighbours with Maria. At that moment Laura walked into the kitchen holding her phone in her hand, and a pair of AirPods in. "Laura, time to get moving, time to get ready." Hearing no response, this meant that she had her music up quite loud. Walking over, I took out one of the AirPods which made her exclaim angrily, "hey! I was listening to that." Watching her take out the other one, I exclaimed, "that's all well and good Laura, but it's time to get changed, go upstairs and put on your suit and tie. I want you all to look the part for the party, and I especially want you all to be on your best behaviour, I don't want you embarrassing me." Laura then walked out of the room, to which I exclaimed, "leave your phone on the counter, your importance is to get changed." Sighing reluctantly, Laura returned to the kitchen and put her phone on the counter.

A few minutes later, we had all gotten changed, and convening in the kitchen, I exclaimed, "right girls, time for clothes inspection. Liz, close one more of your buttons. Sarah, is that my pearl necklace? Put it back and use one of your own necklaces. Laura, tie your tie." I had decided to wear a salmon pink cocktail dress and pair of emerald earrings. Over the dress, I draped a black blazer over my shoulders. Applying my lipstick in the mirror, I smiled ay my reflection. Walking out of the house, I locked up and turned on the alarm. Making our way over to Maria's house, I sighed, it was going to be a long evening. Ringing the doorbell, I watched Maria's husband answering it, "hello Carrie, welcome to the party. I really don't want to have to participate in it, but Maria is a total snob and clearly cares about impressing everyone so I, unfortunately, have to participate." Chuckling, "I replied, "how do you stick it Simon?" Wiping his glasses, Simon replied, "you get used to it unfortunately, I've had to put up with it for 25 years so it's nothing new. Anyways, come in and have a drink." Following him into the main room, I could see that it was lavishly decorated, Maria had obviously spent most of the day getting set up for the party, which even though I disliked her, I was in slight awe of it. At that moment a young man, wearing a navy pinstripe suit and a salmon pink tie, in a double Windsor knot, that matched the colour of my dress, walked over, he was Liz's boyfriend. Shaking hands with me, he exclaimed, "Carrie, how wonderful to see all of you here, that dress is superb." Blushing slightly, I replied, "thank you Mark, that's very kind of you, I love your suit, and your tie, you are a dressed like a real gentleman." Mark, like Simon, disliked the snobbish attitude that Maria always portrayed, he thought it was rather embarrassing. I watched as he and Liz walked away and did their own thing, and then Laura and Sarah went away to theirs. At that moment I spotted Michelle, and walking towards her, I exclaimed, "you got dragged into this too?" Nodding, she replied, "yep, and it's going to be absolute hell. I must say though, Mark is dressed like a gentleman." Watching he and Liz chatting, I replied, "yes, absolutely."  Looking at my Apple-Watch, it was only quarter to eight, the party was only 15 minutes old, but it felt like it had been going on forever.

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:19 pm

Looking around me, the room was lavishly decorated, the food all laid out on trays accordingly, the aroma of scented candles, I spotted Maria's college degree in a gold frame (surprises? I think not), family holiday photos and many other things. Maria had graduated from college with a first class honours degree which she loved to brag about to anyone who would endure it. Her bookshelf was filled with many expensive books that seemed to cover nearly every subject from flower arranging to how to learn Italian. I was stunned when I discovered that she even had copies of my books on the shelf. Noticing me, Maria walked over to me, "yes Carrie, I keep copies of your books too, something to tell everyone about, having a famous neighbour." Hearing this, my stunned reaction then quickly turned to my usual nausea when I was within ten feet of Maria. It seemed that Maria had gone all out to set up this party and had even hired caterers to cook the food. The caterers were all wearing a white tuxedo and a black bow tie, the men wore white tuxedo trousers, and the women were wearing knee length white tuxedo skirts. Simon was walking around at his ease chatting with everyone, he was a rather jovial character and he wished to live life to the fullest, but this was not possible because of Maria. I always wondered why he never divorced her, but I suppose after twenty five years of marriage, he no longer felt like doing so. He was constantly listening to Maria and her snobbish attitude, and he told me a few days ago that he resented the idea of having to be at home with Maria day in day out since he had recently retired due to a recurring back injury. It was a shame that a guy like him had to put up with someone like Maria, he wanted to live his life on his own accords, but Maria practically kept him on a lead. He was at the woman's beck and call every waking moment. 

My wondering was interrupted when my phone rang. Walking into Maria's conservatory, I answered it. "Hello Carrie, this is Serena, I'm sorry to drag you away from your social life, but I was just ringing you to let you know that I've a book launch set up for you in the next few days. I'll suss out the details with you tomorrow. See you tomorrow." Hanging up, I put my phone back in my handbag, but not before putting it on silent as I knew that I would more than likely not be getting anymore work calls. Sipping a glass of water, I looked at my watch again, it was half eight, the party had been on for an hour. Liz then walked over to me with Mark on her arm, "enjoying the party Mum?" Shaking my head, I replied, "not a bit." Hearing this, Mark chuckled, "that makes two of us Carrie, it's so embarrassing listening to Mum always bragging and showing off and trying to be better than anyone else, she even tries to use my achievements but I strictly forbid her from doing so." Something caught my attention, and I then spotted Maria standing outside the house smoking a cigarette, this was something I had never seen before. Mark noticed my curiosity, "surprising, isn't it? Mum pretends to be someone against things like that, but recently she started smoking, disgusting habit." This was a new side to Maria I had never seen before, she was doing something that we believed she'd be strongly against. Before I could say anything, I then heard the sound of a car pulling up to the house, and looking out the window, I could see that it was Maria's sister Tilly. Unlike Maria, Tilly was a modest woman who never bragged about anything, she was liked by nearly everyone which angered Maria because she always craved attention. Tilly had recently come back from living and working in Greece, and had come home to return to her roots. Due to the fact that Tilly was extremely wealthy, Maria resented it because she believed it would make Tilly the centre of attention at Maria's social functions. Catching wind of their conversation, I could hear Maria exclaiming sarcastically, "Tilly, how wonderful to see you. I don't believe I sent you an invite to this party." Shrugging this off, Tilly replied, "I don't care if you did or didn't, I'm here to see my nephew. Smoking now are we? Mum and Dad would be disgusted if they saw you smoking!" I watched Tilly aggressively push Maria aside and walked into the house. Noticing me, she walked over to me and we hugged, Tilly used to babysit the girls for me before she went to Greece. "Carrie, it's great to see you, what's it been? 17 years?" Nodding, I replied, "it must be, Francesca and Megan were just finished primary school if I recall." Looking at Liz up and down, Tilly exclaimed, "Liz? You were only knee high when I saw you last, you were running around my house at breakneck speed."

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:52 am

Spotting Maria, I could see that she was absolutely irate that Tilly had shown up here unannounced and was taking away attention from Maria who craved attention. Michelle and I glanced at each other and suppressed a chuckle, it was hilarious that someone was taking attention away from Maria. Walking over to the trays of food, I picked up a couple of nibbles, we were told to help ourselves with the food so it meant that we could eat whenever we wanted. I was then joined by our local parish priest, Father James Rose, he was new to the area and Maria had made it her aim to be the first to welcome him, she wanted to be on good terms with him and be able to invite him to her social functions. Standing next to me, he exclaimed, "you got dragged into this too Carrie?" Finishing a cocktail sausage, I nodded, "yes I did Father." Chuckling, he replied, "don't worry about that Father thing, I prefer people to call me by my name." Over the next couple of hours the party passed by without any trouble, and it was coming up to the time when everyone would be leaving. When we got home, the girls and I all sat down on the couch. We were exhausted from the party, but before we all went to bed, we were chatting about the party. I watched Laura loosen her tie, and I spoke to her first, "Did you enjoy the party sweetheart? How did it feel wearing a tie with your suit?" 

Pushing her hair back from her face, Laura replied, "I didn't particularly enjoy the party as you said to us that we wouldn't. As for wearing a tie, it was actually quite exhilarating, I felt so professional looking. Liz and Sarah, you guys should try wearing one, it's quite fun." Shaking her head, Liz replied, "Laura, it's not a female thing, ties are made for men. Mark was wearing a suit and tie because he's a man and the party was a very formal occasion. I get that some women do wear them, but it's not common. I'm just giving you some sisterly advice." Sarah was a bit more sympathetic, "Liz, I get where you are coming from, but Laura is a young woman like us. Laura, sweetie, I understand your thoughts, but I kinda have to take Liz's side on this discussion, I know there's a girl you follow on Instagram who wears them, but you're not that girl. It's not common for girls to wear ties, the only I've ever worn one is for school, I'm sorry, but Liz is correct in my opinion." Laura then turned to me, "well Mum?" Wiping my eye, I nodded, "Laura, I have to admit I'm in agreement with Liz and Sarah, I know you wanted to wear one to the party and you did, but as they said, it's not a common thing for girls to wear ties." Shocked at this, Laura exclaimed, "so I embarrassed you all by wearing this silly tie did I? I hope you're all very happy with yourselves." Bursting into tears, she ran out of the room and up the stairs. "What a little crybaby" Liz exclaimed, to which I angrily replied, "Elizabeth! That is no way to speak of Laura. You are the eldest of the three of you here and I expect you to be more mature than that." 

Walking upstairs, I knocked on Laura's door and walked in. Her tie was placed on top of her dresser, and sitting down next to her, moving her magazines, I exclaimed, "Laura, sweetheart, I understand your feelings, but Liz and Sarah are right, it's not common for a girl to wear a tie. I know you think it's cool because of that girl on Instagram, but she's famous. Sweetheart, we can take the tie back to the shop tomorrow and we'll buy you something else instead."

MatthewJames7

auroki likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:24 am

Laura looked at me with tears in her eyes, "but I like wearing a tie Mum." Kissing her on her forehead, I replied, "I know you do sweetie, but it's just not a common thing for a girl to be wearing a suit and tie together. The girls are right, I'm only looking out for your best interests, I don't want to see you get embarrassed." Wiping the last of her tears, I stood up from the bed and walked out of the room with a look of disappointment on my face, maybe I was being harsh on her, I know Laura wanted to do what she thought was cool, but I did not want her to look silly. Being a mother of five had its trials and tribulations, but I loved all my daughters and I just wanted to make sure they were always happy. Turning around, I walked back into the room and sat down on the bed again, "Laura, sweetheart, I'm sorry, I was being harsh on you. If you want to wear a tie, you certainly can if you wish. I know you think I'm being unfair to you, but I realised that you are at an age where you make your own decisions. I was wrong to take sides, tomorrow we'll go and buy some more ties for you, sound good?" With a jubilant smile, Laura replied, "thanks Mum." Kissing her on the forehead again, I replied, "you're welcome sweetheart."

The next morning I woke up and called the girls to get out of bed. When we were all finished getting ready, we made our way into town. Sitting in the car, Liz piped up, "Mum, why are we going back to the suit shop?" Whilst I was also keeping my eye on the road, I replied, "we're going because I promised Laura that I would buy her some more ties, I realised I was rather harsh on her last night and I'm making it up to her." Liz had a sort of I can't believe this kind of look on her face, and I noticed her go nearly crimson with embarrassment. Of the three, Liz was the one who was always the most serious of them, she never really had a sense of humour unless it was in the right surroundings. Sarah and Laura were a bit more laidback than Liz, and they often had great fun in their lives. Liz, on the other hand, she was always working very hard and would always be in a working mood, she had friends of course, but they were the working type like Liz. Eventually we arrived at the suit shop and walked inside. Over in the corner of the shop I noticed a woman getting fitted for a black pinstripe trouser suit and a navy tie adorned with a tie pin. She looked absolutely gorgeous, her tie was perfectly knotted in a triple Windsor knot and pushed up tightly against her collar. Spotting me, she walked over to me, and I could tell she was a little shy, "aren't you Carrie Rhodes? The writer? I'm sorry to bother you in your free time, but my mother and I are huge fans of your books, could I get a picture with you to show her I met you?" Nodding, I replied, "No need to be shy or anything, I like interacting with my fans. Sure, go for it."

MatthewJames7

Evol and auroki like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:54 am

When we had finished taking the photo, I took out a piece of paper out of my jacket and neatly signed my name on it, "here's something for you and your mother, I know this will just make her day." Handing her the piece of paper, the woman had a radiant smile and paid for her suits and then walked out of the shop. The radio was playing in the background, the classical music was beautiful to listen to and it made the shop seem even more luxurious. The aroma of air freshener wafted around the shop, from what I could tell, it was the smell of juniper berries. Looking around the shop, I was in awe of the many suits and ties that were hanging on the racks, they were all so professional looking. At that moment my phone rang, and answering it, I heard Serena's voice, "Carrie, I'm just ringing to let you know that the book launch has been pushed forward to tonight, the hotel is double booked for Tuesday, so I had to move the launch forward. It starts at 6pm sharp." Cursing under my breath, I replied, "thanks Serena." Laura could tell that something was clearly bothering me, and gave me the "oh, I see" eyes. Composing myself, I exclaimed, "right, girls, listen up. My book launch was pushed forward to tonight, it starts at 6pm sharp so I want you all to be properly dressed. You shall all wear a suit and tie, your top button is to be closed at all times, you are to wear your ties in a Double Windsor knot and pushed up tightly against your collars, your top buttons shall not be on display at any time, you shall only wear jewellery that I deem appropriate, and you shall all wear loafers, I will not tolerate heels of any kind. Elizabeth, this goes for you as well, I don't care how embarrassing you may think wearing a tie is, you're wearing one and that's final. Now, hurry up and pick out your clothes, I want everything to go perfectly this evening and I will not tolerate any kind of messing."

Liz was crimson with embarrassment, she couldn't believe that she was being forced to wear a suit and tie this evening, but I was adamant about it. After what seemed like forever, we eventually picked out our suits and ties, I had elected for a black two piece trouser suit, a striped shirt and a dark navy tie, Liz went for a cream coloured two piece trouser suit with a navy tie like mine, Laura, the most eager of the girls, had chosen to wear a blue skirt suit that went down to her thighs and a red tie, and Sarah had picked out a white suit with a mustard coloured tie. When we had finished, we paid for the suits, we walked out of the shop and back down the street. Looking at my watch, I was surprised to see that it was quarter to five, my book launch was starting in less than two hours so it was all action stations from here, there was no time for any messing around, I was on a mission to make sure everything went smoothly and without any issues. Arriving home, I was surprised to see my husband Fabio in my kitchen. Kissing him, I exclaimed, "Fabio? Aren't you a sight for sore eyes?" Laughing, he replied, "I have a few days off work so I said I'd come home to see you all." Opening the fridge, I rummaged through it wondering what we would have for dinner. A few minutes later the girls had gone up to get ready for the launch, and Fabio and I sat down at our kitchen island counter. The hotel was minutes away so I never had to drive there which meant that I could have a glass of wine with Fabio. "It's fantastic to see you my love, but I did not know you were coming and you showed up here unannounced" I exclaimed with a slight stern feeling in the pit of my stomach. I was never much of a wine drinker, but I occasionally liked to drink a lovely Chilean white wine that I bought in my local off-licence. Putting his glass down on the counter, he nodded, "I understand your thoughts, that was a bit out of line from me, but I also haven't seen you in person for the last seventeen months." Standing up, I walked out to the hallway and shouted, "girls, are you getting ready?" I was satisfied when I heard them all reply that they were. Sitting back down, I proceeded to tell Fabio about the book launch and offered to invite him too which he gladly accepted. This was fantastic, my husband and three of my daughters were going to be attending my book launch with me, as a wife and a mother, I was very proud.

MatthewJames7

Evol likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:46 am

Pacing back and forth in the living room, the girls stood in front of me for suit inspection. "Liz, tighten your tie, you heard my strict instructions. Sarah, yours is ok, just tighten your tie a little too. Laura, yours is perfect. Now, let's go." Pulling up at the hotel, I was inundated with press people and paparazzi who were all looking for autographs, photos and questions. After I took a few, one of the hotel staff came out and exclaimed, "ok, that's enough, Ms Rhodes is a very busy woman." Following the staff member into the lobby, I shook hands with her, "thank you, I don't mind fans, but when they're circling over you like a flock of hungry ravens, it gets a little bit annoying." I then noticed Michelle walking over to me with two glasses of champagne in her hand, "hello Carrie, there's a small pre launch party for you." Taking one of the glasses, I replied, "thanks Michelle." My delight was then quickly flattened when I heard Maria's voice in the background. "Oh sweet mother of Christ" I exclaimed with disdain, I hadn't even been there five minutes and already some of my evening was going to be spent listening to Maria's interminable anecdotes and how she would brag about me to anyone who would listen. Sipping one, I moved around the room as quickly as I could so that I could find someone to talk to and be out of Maria's direct line of sight. I happened to bump into a former lecturer of mine, and we spent a few minutes catching up, it had been twenty-five years since I had graduated college so I hadn't seen many of them in a long time. I then heard the chinking of a glass, and I watched the hotel manager walk up onto the podium. "Ladies and gentlemen, I am delighted to welcome you all here tonight, it is wonderful to see all of you here, but you did not come to hear me yapping, now, I give you the woman of the hour, Ms Carrie Rhodes. Carrie, if you would like to say a few words." I was flattered when the whole room burst into thunderous applause. Walking onstage, I was met with cheers and more applause.

Straightening my tie, I composed myself. "Thank you Ciara for that kind introduction. Ladies and gentlemen, as Ciara said, I am truly delighted and honoured that you took time out of your busy schedules to be here tonight. It is heartwarming to find that so many of you know and are a fan of my works. Firstly I would like to thank my husband and my daughters who are here with me this evening, they stuck by me through thick and thin white while I was writing my book." I noticed Fabio blow a kiss towards me, and I blew one back to him. "Let me give you a small story into what inspired me to become a writer. During my school years, in my fifth year, I was seventeen years old, and one day my English teacher at the time, who I'm glad to see is in attendance tonight, she gave us a homework assignment to do where we had to write a short story and present it in front of the class. When she had finished marking them, she handed us each our grade, and I, not to be bragging, got an A1 for my efforts. She said to me that with work like that I had great potential in becoming a writer. Hearing this praise, I decided then and there that I would pursue it as a career. I spent the next year studying as hard as I could to get into college, and after four years, I received a first class honours degree in History and English. About a week after I finished college, I decided to start practicing my writing skills even further. I sent in a short story to the local newspaper, some of whose staff are also here tonight. Receiving my story, they paid me for sending it in and recommended me for a full time work position in an office in Frankfurt who were short of good writers. After a couple of years there, I had made enough money to return here, and I met my husband at a previous book launch. Since then I have become a wealthy author, but I don't like to think of it as just a money means, I like to write both as a career and as an interest. I spent the last six and a half months writing this book, I would wake up every morning and try and get two or three pages written a day. Anyways, that's enough of my rabble, the hotel has kindly provided a copy of my book for every one of you here tonight, now, if you'll line up single file, I'll sign them for you." 

About twenty minutes later, I had signed my last book and then I walked offstage. Walking around the room mingling with the guests, I was just about to start a conversation with an elderly woman and her niece when I spotted Maria walking towards me, this was not going to be fun. "Carrie, darling, let me introduce you to Lord Michael Connors, he's a friend of our family." I noticed Michael mutter something under his breath which signified he was not enjoying Maria's company either. Shaking hands, I exclaimed, "welcome your Lordship, thank you for coming." Laughing, he replied, "don't mind all that fancy title stuff,  call me Michael. I hear you're quite the author Carrie, I read some of your works, and they're fantastic. My wife, Fiona, as you know, she's quite the stateswoman, and she is looking for someone to write a book about her, ah here she comes now." I watched as a young woman, probably not that much older than Francesca, walking towards us. Kissing him, she exclaimed, "hello darling, I wondered where you got to." Turning to me, she exclaimed, "Ms Carrie Rhodes, I'm honoured to make your acquaintance. Michael tells me you're quite the author." Blushing slightly, I replied, "I'm good at it, but I've a long way to go yet." Sipping her champagne, Fiona shook her head, "don't be so modest, you should be very proud of yourself. Anyways, Michael mentioned I'm looking for someone to write a book on me, and I would like it very much if you were up to the task of it. Here's my card, get in touch with me and we can set up an interview." I watched them walk away, this was a very big deal and I was not going to renege on it. 

Noticing Liz, I walked over to her with a slight stern look in my eyes. Straightening and tightening her tie, I exclaimed, "Elizabeth, I gave you all strict instructions about how to be appropriately dressed for tonight before we left home, and I will not have you disobeying them. You are the eldest of my daughters who are still living under my roof, and when I give strict instructions, I expect them to be upheld. You are to be a role model to Sarah and Laura, and that starts with being dressed properly. Now, go off and enjoy yourself, and if I catch you improperly dressed again, there shall be trouble, understood?" Nodding, she sighed, "fine Mom." Clearing my throat, I replied, "that's yes Mother." Sighing, she replied,  "yes Mother." The party was full of important people which made me smile, it was nice to get some recognition.

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:35 pm

Suddenly I saw two familiar faces walking towards me, I was stunned when I saw that it was Francesca and Megan. Hugging them, I exclaimed, "Megan, Francesca, my darlings, how did you guys know I was here?" Megan replied, "I had my sources,  haha, no, all jokes aside, we came home to see you guys, and then when we discovered that you guys weren't at home, I texted Laura and she told us you were here." Megan was wearing a navy pinstripe suit and a set of pearls around her neck, and Francesca had elected for a knee length silver coloured dress. At that moment Fabio joined us, and hugging them too, exclaimed "my bambinas, it's great to see you both." They hugged him, replying, "and it's great to see you too Dad." Liz then spotted us and we were chatting for a few minutes, she was rather inquisitive aand slightly peeved as to why Megan or Francesca weren't wearing a suit and tie, and explaining to her, I told her that I was not aware that they were coming to the launch, and that they were also living away from home so they were self disciplined enough to choose their attire for a formal situation.

Straightening her tie, Liz enquired, "can I take off this silly tie now Mum?" Looking at her with a stern glare, I exclaimed, "you certainly cannot, whilst you are here you are to stick to my instructions Elizabeth, I warned you, and if you don't cop on and quit whining, you shall be grounded for the weekend and there'll be no concert. That is final." Elizabeth looked horrified, "but Mum, I paid a lot for those tickets." Turning to her, I whispered, "but nothing Elizabeth, you are on your final warning, you are skating on very thin ice, and I will not have you embarrass me, this is an important event." Reluctantly, she sighed and walked away, though I could tell that she was not remotely happy with my threat.

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:07 pm

Sipping my champagne, the room was filled with smiles and laughter, I was in awe of the numbers that had turned up to my rather rushed book launch, I realised that it was a muddle up for some, but I enjoyed the sentiment that they had all come regardless. I always liked a little bit of recognition, but I never liked to overdo it, I was always taught that by people. As I was looking around the room, I noticed a young woman wearing a grey coloured skirt suit and a navy tie which she wore in a Windsor knot, if I was to attempt to guess, I'd say she wasn't that much older than Sarah. Walking over to her, I put out my hand, and exclaimed, "hi there." Extending hers to shake mine, she exclaimed, "Carrie Rhodes, the famous author. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, I'm Natalia, I'm quite the fan of your work." Blushing slightly, I replied, "thank you, that's most kind of you Natalia." For several minutes Natalia and I were chatting about books and book writing, she was a college student who was hoping to go down the writing path herself and she was looking for a few pointers, so I gave her my contact details and address if she needed any teaching. Before I knew it, I looked at my watch, it was 11pm, the book launch had gone on for five hours. At that moment the manager walked into the room, announcing, "ladies and gentlemen, I'm sorry to have to interrupt, but the hotel shall be closing for the night in a few minutes so if you would like to make your way to your vehicles, that would be much obliged." The girls made their way over to me, Liz piping up, "Mum, can we take off our ties now?" Nodding, I replied reluctantly, "yes Liz, you may take off your tie." I watched as Liz then removed her tie, exclaiming, "it's about time." 

A couple of days later, I was at home when my doorbell rang. Getting up from my office chair, I went out to answer it, and found Natalia standing in the doorway wearing the same suit and tie she wore to the book launch. I had invited her over for some guidance, and some lunch, and when she saw that I was casually dressed, she was slightly embarrassed, "Carrie, I'm sorry, if I had known you wanted me to appear in casual clothes I would have." Sensing this embarrassment, I replied, "don't be embarrassed at all Natalia, you look very professional for a woman of your age, I'm the one who should be embarrassed for not dressing formally while you're here with me. I'll just put on something formal, I can't be teaching you in a tracksuit and a pair of runners. Just give me two minutes to get changed into something else." Just as I got up from my chair, Liz walked past, and I turned to her, "Liz, this is Natalia, I met her at the book launch the other evening, she's here for some teaching, and she is staying for her lunch and dinner tonight so I expect you all to put on your suits and be appropriately dressed in front of our guest, tie included."

MatthewJames7

Evol likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by stiffcollar03 Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:59 pm

i love how Carrie keeps putting Liz in her place! Hopefully she gets punished in front of Natalia Wink

stiffcollar03

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:57 am

I do too, I find that Liz, out of the five girls, is the one who complains about things, she's not spoiled or anything, I made it so that she just is the judgemental one and finds ways to make negative comments and feelings about things. Liz was always the strict type, she is all about keeping to the normal ways, she doesn't like change or anything, and she's, as you guys can kind of tell, quite conscious of her clothes, she doesn't like the idea of adding a suit and tie to her wardrobe. She likes wearing dresses, whereas Laura prefers to change her wardrobe a bit and wear anything. Sarah and Laura share the same opinions, but have valiantly tried to coerce Liz into liking a suit and tie, but she refuses to listen.

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:39 am

A few minutes later, I had changed into a navy knee length dress, and joined Natalia in the office, but before we sat down I had summoned the girls for a clothes inspection. Sarah and Laura were both delighted to be wearing a suit and tie, but Liz, as usual, was clearly disgusted. "Can I not wear this tie Mum?" Glaring at her, I replied, "Elizabeth! Natalia is our guest, and I have decided that you all shall be properly dressed while she is here. You are really, really trying my patience, and if you don't stop whining and complaining, you shall not be going on holidays with your friends, this is your final warning, and do not think I'm joking, I am genuinely serious, now keep your mouth shut and act like a mature grown woman. You are the eldest of the three of you here, and you are to be a role model to Laura and Sarah, but it seems you are being the exact opposite. I am getting tired of your constant complaining, you were like that the other night at the book launch, and I am getting fed up with it. You're quite lucky your father is gone back to work abroad, because if he were here, he would not take any of your crap, I was always more lenient than he is, but now, I'm beginning to see that his strictness is very much justified. I shall not tolerate any messing or misbehaving while Natalia is here, she is our guest and it is up to us to welcome her." Turning to Natalia, I exclaimed, "I'm sorry you had to see that Natalia." Laughing slightly, Natalia replied, "it's ok Carrie, I grew up as the only girl in a family of boys so I'm used to watching them get disciplined." 

The girls then walked out of the room which meant Natalia and I could get down to work. Before we knew it, the time was 2pm, we had been working for over an hour and a half. We were just getting up from our seats when we heard a crashing noise and the sound of raised voices emanating from the living room. Walking out of my office, I was visibly angered, I knew something was wrong, and I was determined to get to the bottom of it. Something told me that there was something fishy, and when I made my way into the living room, I was disgusted to find Liz and Sarah brawling. Yelling at the top of my voice, "Sarah and Elizabeth!!! Stop!!!!!! What is the meaning of this? I'm trying to work with Natalia, and you two are in here fighting like two petulant children." Looking at the floor, I could see something had shattered, and turning back to them, I exclaimed, "who broke my precious vase? Which one of you broke my vase? That was a wedding present from your grandmother, that cost her a lot of money. In fact, do not answer that, both of you go up to your rooms this second! You have made an  embarrassment out of me in front of Natalia. I will deal with the two of you later." Natalia stood behind me, "Carrie, I'll come back some other time if you wish." Nodding, I replied, " Natalia sweetheart, you are more than welcome to stay longer, but if you want to head away now, I'll contact you in the next day or two and we can go from where we left off." Natalia decided that she would head home because she did not want to be involved in any drama which I thought was very commendable.

The two girls sat down on the couch and could see that I was going redder and redder with fury with each passing second. "Sarah, before you even attempt to open your mouth, do not dare! Girls, I am shocked, astounded and embarrassed by your actions. You have ruined your suits and your ties. I invited Natalia for a business meeting and some lunch and dinner, and you two had to go and ruin it by acting like a pair of petulant children. I have never been more embarrassed in my life. Liz, I warned you before that if there was anymore inappropriate behaviour, I would send you to boarding school, and you have crossed the line, I shall be in contact with the school's principal to finalise the details. Laura, now is not a good time sweetie, go do something while I confront your sisters, at least you know how to behave yourself in front of company." Picking up a magazine from the coffee table, Laura walked back out of the room. After a few minutes I had finished talking with Sarah and Liz, and sent them both up to their rooms. Returning to the office, I sat down at my desk and started crying. I then heard footsteps walking along the corridor, "Sarah, go back to your room." The footsteps came closer, and I was surprised to see that it was Laura with a tray of food in her hands. "I said I'd make you some lunch Mum." Kissing her on the forehead, I replied, "thank you sweetie, you look perfect in your suit and tie, I'm sorry I was harsh on you before. Here, let me straighten your tie. There we go."

MatthewJames7

N00144119, Evol and auroki like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:14 am

When Laura walked out of the room, I walked over to the mirror I had in the office. Wiping the last few of my tears, I couldn't believe it, I had never been more embarrassed in my life. Natalia was about the same age as Liz, and within two minutes Liz and Sarah had managed to muck up my entire afternoon. Contacting Natalia, I scheduled to meet her in town the following day to resume our business meeting. I decided on this so that I would not have a repeat of this afternoon's events. Liz and Sarah were grounded, and Laura had gone to see a friend while I was with Natalia so I got my sister Kitty (Catherine by name), we called her Kitty as a term of affection, to stay while I was out with Natalia. When I arrived home I put my jacket back up on the hangar, and walked into the office. Looking at the walls, I had some pictures hanging up, studying them for a second I decided that I would take them down and put up some new ones in a few days, the office itself needed a little bit of refurbishment, and a little tidying wouldn't have gone astray. I found it kind of stuffy in the room so I opened a window, and then watched as my cat Juno, almost being able to predict it, came to the windowsill. Rubbing her, I exclaimed, "I suppose I'd better feed you eh? Come on." With a satisfied meow, she made her way into the office. Rubbing my leg, she then followed me to the kitchen. Opening the cupboard, I rummaged around, "ah, here we are. Time to feed you, I can't have you wailing like a banshee at the window the whole afternoon." 

A minute later Juno had finished. Following me back to the office, I watched as she slithered under the window and returned outside. It seemed to me that she was going to find some rats to eat, a sight I was not stranger to, Juno would frequently gift us at the back door with half a rat or a mouse in her mouth. I was slightly frightened of mice and rats, but not a crippling fear that would cause me anxiety attacks or anything, Laura, on the other hand she was terrified of mice and rats. I did not mind any other animals, for example, I had held snakes before, they were slightly slimy, but that didn't bother me at all. I had the chance to hold them a couple of times when I had gone abroad to different places over the years so I got used to it. Sarah was like me in that she did not mind most animals, but she was terrified of spiders which stemmed from a childhood nightmare. Anytime we were in the living room and a spider came into the room, Sarah would jump behind the couch in terror. Walking out into the hallway, I shouted, "Liz, Sarah, come down here into the office a second." Hearing them making their way into the office, they stood in front of me. "Girls, I've invited Natalia here tomorrow, and I do not want a repeat of what happened the other day. You shall be properly dressed, tie included. Liz, don't make that resigned look, you shall do as I say at all times while Natalia is here. I don't care if she comes casually dressed or formally dressed, I want you girls looking appropriately dressed in front of her. You two embarrassed me and I do not want a repeat, do I make myself crystal clear?" Nodding they replied, "yes Mum."

MatthewJames7

auroki likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:47 am

I watched as they began making their way out of the office when I stopped them again "No, girls, I've a better idea, instead of wearing a suit and tie, you shall wear tailcoat tuxedos, gloves and a top hat. Now, let's get going, we're going to the suit shop to buy your tuxes. Liz, do not give me that scowl, Natalia is a business client of mine, and I expect you all to be properly dressed in her presence, that is clear as crystal, and my final decision." Getting ready, we left the house locked up and turned on the alarm. Closing the door behind us, we got into the car and headed for town. Listening to the weather forecast on the radio, I was disappointed to hear that it would be a rainy day ahead, but luckily for us, we would be indoors for the bulk of the afternoon. Pulling into a nearby car park, we got out of the car. Searching through my phone, I went into the parking app to register my car for a couple of hours while we were going to be in town. Arriving at the suit shop, we walked inside, the familiar scent of juniper berries wafted through the shop, it was a lovely smell. At that moment Candace spotted us, and walked over with a tape measure draped over her shoulders, "Carrie, I'm delighted to see you here again, always nice to have some fame in here, helps drum up some more work for us and more publicity." Chuckling slightly, I replied "thank you Candace, and I'm glad to do business." Turning to walk into the main part of the shop, a young girl bumped into me. She clearly was not looking where she was going. "Helena, get off your phone and watch where you're walking, you nearly knocked Carrie over. Apologies for that, Carrie." The young girl then skulked into the back of the shop with a scowl on her face. Walking around the store, we were looking at different tuxedos to wear, and I knew it was time to get down to work if we were to look the part for Natalia's visit.

MatthewJames7

auroki likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:41 am

As we followed Candace around the shop, she took various tuxedoes down from various shelves. "Laura, you're up first. Ok, now, I'm thinking, tight collared tuxedo shirt, white bow tie, black loafers, a cummerbund and cufflinks. You're a bit taller than the others so I'll have to go into the back to find a tuxedo that will be a perfect length for you, but don't worry, we have plenty of them in stock so there's no cause for concern." Taking Laura's measurements, Candace scribbled them down on a notepad and walked into the back of the shop. As Laura was always enthusiastic and eager to try new things, it was no surprise to see that she was delighted, she had only worn a tuxedo once for a school play, but now she had the opportunity to wear one as a young woman, Laura always used to try on Fabio's ties with her uniform when she was younger, so it came to be an interest of hers. 

Waiting for a couple of minutes, we then watched Candace return with a tuxedo in her hand. "Ok, Laura, try that on and see how it fits. Liz, you're next, yours is pretty much the same as Laura's, and an added tailcoat, now, there's a tuxedo over there on those hangars, take one down and try it on." Liz, I noticed, was not remotely happy that I was making them dress in menswear, she thought it was quite embarrassing, but I wanted everything to be perfect for Natalia's visit, this was a very important business meeting as I would be teaching a next generation writer, someone who had a very bright future ahead of her. From the moment I had met Natalia, I could sense that she had massive potential. Over the few days between the launch party and Natalia's visit I had a Google search for some of her works, they were absolutely incredible, she was very highly educated, her dictionary was clearly of a high standard, and some had even been at the top of the college writing piece of the week list. I had tutored other people before, but from reading Natalia's works, I could see that I had an absolute gem in my work. 

Next came Sarah, and after a few minutes we had all sorted out the tuxedoes. To be fair to the girls, I decided that I would wear one as well. Just before we wrapped up, Candace and Helena came out from the back room with boxes in their hands, Candace exclaiming, "your top hats ladies, the piece de resistance." When we had finished, we paid for the tuxedoes, and changed back into our casual clothes. Getting back into the car, I placed the bags with the tuxedoes on the hangar in the boot. Setting off to go home, we were met by Saturday peak time traffic which we knew would delay us a little, but it always moved after a minute or two. This time however, it was moving very slowly, causing me to mutter, "come on, come on" under my breath. Eventually it got moving, and through gritted teeth, I exclaimed, "it's about time." Natalia was scheduled to arrive at 2pm, and looking at the time on the car dashboard, it was 1:35, we had twenty five minutes to get home and get ready for her visit. "Girls, the minute we get home, you are all to change into your tuxedoes and there is to be no dilly dallying. She is coming at 2 so we don't have time for any messing around when we get home."

MatthewJames7

Evol likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:40 am

Arriving home, I made my way upstairs to get changed into my tuxedo, as did Laura and Sarah. Looking at myself in the mirror as I was getting dressed up, I felt a great pride in how I looked, I had only worn a tuxedo once which was at a school party, I wanted to mix things up a bit and go in something different. Upon seeing me in the tuxedo, nearly everyone was in awe of how I looked, even the so called queen bee of our school was slightly impressed, though if I was to guess, I'd say 2% impressed. Tying my bow tie in the mirror, I was even in awe of myself, I felt like I was on top of the world and nothing could shatter my confidence. Lastly came my jacket, and voilà, I was finito. At that moment Laura and Sarah walked into the room, "girls, you both look fabulous, you really do. Where's Liz?" Before they even had the chance to answer, I stormed out of the room with a suspicious feeling in my head. I had an inkling that Liz was not ready, an inkling that was confirmed when I walked into the living room to find Liz chilling out on the couch while on her phone. "Elizabeth!! Get off your phone this instant and get upstairs. Natalia shall be here in five minutes and you are not ready. Go now, and I mean NOW. You have really been trying my patience the last few days, and I am getting fairly sick of it. I have threatened you with boarding school, and told you that if you behave yourself in front of Natalia that I'd change my mind, but now that you're acting like this, I shall not be changing my mind. Get upstairs and get changed this second, or in addition you shall spend the summer grounded." Liz looked at me with disgust, "you can't do this Mum." Scoffing, I replied, "Elizabeth, I am your mother, and while you are under this roof, you shall obey the rules around here, so I can do it, and I will." Defeated, Liz walked out of the room, "Elizabeth, take that pity look off your face" I exclaimed. 

Talking to myself under my breath, I muttered, "why is she so critical of everything I ask? I never had this trouble with the others, though if I recall Fabio telling me his father was like that too before he died, so I guess Liz inherited that trait. A minute later Liz came back into the living room in her tuxedo. Sighing, she sat down on the couch and resumed her activities on her phone. Sitting down in front of her, I moved the magazines off the coffee table, and started conversing with her about why she was always so argumentative towards everything. Hearing the doorbell ring, I stood up to answer it. Opening the door, I saw that it was Natalia who was bang on time. She had a gift of some flowers in her hand, "I thought you'd like some flowers Carrie." Taking them, I replied, "that's very kind of you Natalia, come in, and we can get started in a little while. I cooked some lunch this morning so I just have to heat it up in the oven, we'll eat first, it wouldn't do to work on empty stomachs." Going into the hallway, I exclaimed, "Laura, Sarah, come downstairs." A few minutes later I had heated up the lunch and we sat down to eat. As we were eating, Natalia first commented on how good we all looked in our tuxedos, and then we got down to business. A few minutes later we had finished, and Natalia and I made our way to my office, but before I walked inside, I said to the girls, "there is to be no fighting or anything like that while Natalia and I are working. We shall be very busy so we do not wish to be disturbed unless it's an emergency." 

Walking into the office, Natalia and I sat down at my desk, it was time to get down to business. After what seemed like an instant, I looked at my watch, and to my surprise it was 5pm, Natalia and I had been working for three hours without stopping to take a break. I was also in charge of a publishing company in town, but I predominantly worked from home because it was easier for me when the girls were growing up and it meant that I could keep an eye on them 24/7. As we were finishing our work, I gave Natalia my business card, "show up on Monday and I'll give you an experience day at the publishing company." Hearing something ringing, I realised it was Natalia's phone. Noticing as she looked at the caller I.D., I could see that Natalia was slightly bothered by something. "Excuse me Carrie, I've to take this call, it's my sister." Within five minutes Natalia had come back, tears were flowing down her face. Handing her a Kleenex tissue, I listened as she explained that her mother had just passed away. "Natalia, sweetheart, I'm so sorry for your loss. If there's anything I can do, let me know."

Monday came around in an instant, and making my way into the publishing company, I met Natalia at the entrance to the building.  Walking inside, I could see she was in awe of the beautiful lobby. As we were walking along, we eventually arrived at my floor. Natalia could see that everyone was dressed in the exact same clothes, it was weird, and I could sense it. "Every single employee here wears the same attire, a navy trouser or skirt suit, a blue striped tie in a double Windsor knot which is the only one I approve of, everyone is to wear it tight around their neck, top buttons shall be closed at all times, the tie is never to be loose or show your top button at any moment. The skirts are to go down to your calves. Your stockings are to go the full length of your legs. You may wear an appropriate belt if you wear a pair of trousers instead of a skirt. Loafers or small heels, no taller than 1 inch, are acceptable, but nothing extravagant is permitted, earrings and jewellery are allowed but nothing unprofessional, if I see any unprofessional earrings or jewellery I shall not be happy at all. Drinking and smoking are forbidden here, and staff are to be courteous to each other at all times, foul and abusive language is prohibited and anyone flaunting these rules shall be disciplined, and repeat offences shall result in the employee being terminated from their job. I expect everyone to be strictly professional. You get a break at 1pm and again at 5pm. Work shall finish at 9pm sharp and not a minute less. You shall be given a suit, and should you spill anything on your suit or it gets dirty, we have a stockroom down the corridor where we keep spares. This is our official office suit and no staff member is to appear here wearing a different suit, if so, there shall be disciplinary action, and as with before, repeat offences shall result in termination of the employee. Now, go to the stockroom and put on the office suit."

Last edited by MatthewJames7 on Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

MatthewJames7

Evol and auroki like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:27 am

As we were walking along the floor, a woman passed us, and putting out my hand to stop her, I exclaimed, "Beatriz, that tie is not the official work tie, go to the stockroom and get the official one, I expect all of you to be properly dressed at all times, and non official ties are banned from here. This is your second offence, you would do well not to get a third, and we know what happens when we get a third, don't we? Yes, glad you realise, and now you shall appear in the correct tie this time. Annabella, your tie is not tight enough, in fact I just realised, this is your third offence here, pack up your things and get out, you have flaunted the rules here three times, three strikes and you're out. Put on your regular clothes and leave this office immediately, you're terminated." Natalia could see that I was rather a harsh boss but understood in a way, "I see now what you mean about professionalism Carrie." At that moment we were joined by another woman who exclaimed, "your meeting with the manager of the local newspaper is set up Carrie, you shall be meeting her tomorrow at 9am." Turning to her, I replied, "excuse me Susana? That's Ms. Rhodes to you, let me tell you something, you may be new here, but I will not take any lapse in work performance. Until I say you are allowed to address me by my first name, you shall address me as Ms. Rhodes at all times. I hired you to be my secretary, not your pal around here, and while you're also it, fix your tie." Eventually we arrived at the stockroom and I took a suit and tie off the shelf. Handing it to Natalia, I exclaimed, "get changed and I'll show you how things work around here." When she had finished, Natalia faced me, "Carrie, could you help me to tie my tie? I can't tie one, the last couple of times I wore one my flatmate tied my tie for me." Facing her, I exclaimed, "of course I will sweetheart, you are here under my jurisdiction and I can't have you looking unprofessional. Et voilà, you look very professional Natalia, a double Windsor knot." Returning to my office, I then heard a crashing sound and then someone cursing repeatedly. Walking out of the office, I exclaimed, "what was that? Who was it?" A young man, not that much older than Natalia spoke up, "it was me Ms. Rhodes, I dropped a glass of water." Looking at him, I replied, "firstly, get a cloth and clean it up. Secondly, be more careful next time, and thirdly, mind your language, I will not tolerate any profanity."

When we returned to the office, I pointed to a desk and a desktop computer, "bit on the rushed side of things Natalia, but I set up a workspace for you here. By the way, you can head away at 5 if you wish, you are here on an experience day so I don't want to keep you here all evening and keep you away from your college work. If you fancy coming in part time, I can set it up for you. Anyways, I'll get you set up, I've some stuff I need to edit, publications, books and the like, if you want to do that." Very enthusiastic, Natalia replied, "sure, I can do that, thank you Carrie." Placing my hand on her shoulder, I replied, "you are most welcome Natalia, I'm truly delighted to have you here." Getting down to work, the day seemed to pass by in an instant. Sipping a cup of coffee that I had poured myself during my break, I saw from the window as people walked along the streets, though from where I was, they looked like ants. Hearing my laptop chime, I sat back down at my desk, finished my last sip of my coffee and put the plastic cup in the rubbish bin under my desk. As I was working, I could feel myself slowly getting tired despite the coffee, though I guessed that it was down to the fact that last night the weather was atrocious, the thunder keeping me awake all night, a feeling shared by Juno who I had to let in and let her sleep at the foot of my bed. Frightened by the thunder, Juno was barking sadly all evening so that didn't exactly help me sleep either. 

At 7am I had tried to finally get some sleep, and I slept for about an hour and a half when I was awoken by Juno who was looking for some food. I decided to check the post while I was feeding Juno, and in my letterbox was an invite from Maria to a dinner party at her house this evening, which made me say, "oh Christ" under my breath, Maria's dinner parties were always so boring, she was only having them so she could brag to everyone in sight that she lived either side of two famous people. Even though it was evident to everyone else, Maria was always oblivious to the fact that she was a complete snob. Texting Michelle, I sent her a picture of the invite on WhatsApp, and a few seconds later, she sent me a picture of her invite as well along with a frown emoji. Maria was the bane of my life and listening to her bragging nearly made me feel nauseous. For example, she would always brag, "my neighbours are famous, they just love attending my social occasions, it's fantastic to be in such wealthy company unlike some of the other people around here." Listening to it, I nearly wanted to slam my head off a wall. Most of the people at her dinner parties often shared the same feelings but had to pretend that they were delighted to be there so that Maria would be satisfied. Liz and the girls were gone off to a music concert together so I was alone at home except for Juno.

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:34 am

Word had spread to Maria that I was taking Natalia under my wing, and I was slightly concerned that she would invite Natalia to the dinner party. Inviting Natalia over for lunch, I explained everything about Maria to her. "Wow, she seems like a pain in the teeth, lucky I'm not living next to her." Chuckling, I replied, "you certainly are, I've to put up with her crap 24/7." As we were chatting, Natalia wiped her eyes, and then resumed eating. My suspicions were confirmed when Maria arrived at the doorway. Knowing this would not be a good visit, I reluctantly invited Maria in. Escorting her to the kitchen, I watched her sit down next to Natalia. "You must be the famous Natalia, I've heard great things about you. Carrie, you greedy thing, keeping her all to yourself." Natalia turned to face me with a nervous disposition. When Maria turned away for a second, I mouthed, "I know, she's like that all the time." Picking up the kettle, I started to pour Maria a cup of tea, but intercepting me, Maria exclaimed, "no thanks dear, I only drink the brand I have at home, anyways, better dash home and get prepared for the dinner party, bye." Disgusted by her snarky remark, I closed the door when Maria walked outside. Pushing my hair back, I placed a pair of Louis Vuitton sunglasses on my head, it was a lovely sunny afternoon so when I had finished with Natalia, I decided I would take Juno for a walk before I would come home to get ready for the party, even though it was going to be absolute torture. 

Returning from the walk with Juno, I brought her upstairs, and with a satisfied nod, she got into her bed. "I'm going to get ready for the party Juno, I'm just next door at all times." Emptying the mug of cold coffee, I placed it on my dresser. Sighing, I had to reluctantly accept that I would be a guest of Maria's for the evening. I did not want to go, but Maria insisted I come until I finally told her I would, she was the most annoying person I had ever met in my life, and the sight of her made my stomach turn. Her bragging about Michelle and I used to drive me up the walls, and Maria had told the neighbours several times, but she was oblivious to their annoyance and this made her think she was the centre of attention in the neighbourhood. Examining the contents of my dressing room, I decided to wear my grey skirt suit and tie. When I had finished, I looked at myself in the mirror, sighing, the next few hours were going to be absolute hell

MatthewJames7

auroki likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:35 am

Any ideas for the next piece, I added some bits myself so I want to see what ideas you guys have. I like adding in both your ideas and mine into my stories so let me know what you guys want and I'll try and add it in somewhere

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by auroki Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:21 pm

Perhaps have Maria put into a tight spot she can't easily get out of. Maybe she invites someone else with some fame new over to her party and they loudly insult Carry's choice of outfit.

Force the obnoxious neighbor to pick which famous person she wants to have the favor of finally humbling her self indulgent being for once.

auroki

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:31 am

When I arrived at Maria's house, I knocked on the door. Opening Maria stood in the doorway with an excited gleam in her eye, something gave me the feeling that it was not something that would excite me. "Carrie, come in my dear." Following her inside, I looked around the hallway which she had lavishly decorated in advance of the party. When Maria walked into the kitchen, Simon passed me on his way out, "I've to head to the airport to travel for a business meeting. I know she's a pain in the face, but try to enjoy it as best you can Carrie. Anyways, see you soon." Closing the door behind Simon, I then walked into the kitchen where Maria had her countertop filled with various different dishes, it seemed to me that she had spent a lot of time and money into preparing this party. Over the next little while, the guests all started arriving. Some of them were genuinely impressed by Maria's efforts to make an extravagant party, others shared the feeling that I had about the party being absolute torture. Making my way around the living room, I was mingling with some of them who complimented me on my recent book among other things. The only thing satisfying me so far was that there were others who also disliked the party. At that moment the doorbell rang, and Maria rushed frantically to answer it, making me slightly snigger under my breath. I watched as she brought in her mystery guest and they walked back into the living room. 

Looking in my direction, I heard the guest loudly exclaim, "who's the woman in the corner in that silly looking grey skirt suit, and especially that horrible tie? You would never catch me dead in a suit and tie no matter how much it cost or who it was made by. She looks really stupid, a cross-dresser is she? Women should always wear a dress to formal occasions, not pretend to be men and wear a silly suit and tie." I watched Maria laughing at this, but she could see my glare and stopped laughing. Walking over, she exclaimed, "Carrie, this is Melanie, she's an aristocrat and member of the county golf club, everyone in the county knows her, and she is always in the newspapers." "Spouting rubbish" I muttered to myself. Shaking hands, Melanie exclaimed, "ah yes, Carrie Rhodes, Maria has told me a bit about you. Darling, let me give you some advice, if you're going to a formal occasion, don't wear a silly suit and tie like you have in now, you're not impressing anyone in it, you're just making yourself look very foolish." 

Storming out of the room, I walked into the hallway. Sensing that I was irate, Maria followed me. "Carrie, dear, what's the matter?" Turning to her with disgust, "really Maria? Your so called guest of honour has come here, insulted me both behind my back and to my face, she is rude and obnoxious, and she makes you look even more important than what you always project yourself to be. Either she goes, or I go. You finally have the chance to show how great you are, you live in a big house, you drive a very expensive car, you have an attractive husband, you have everything you wish for. As I said, either she goes, or I go. You have used me to advance your social position for years on end, and I play along with my usual good humour, but now I'm getting pretty fed up with it. It's her or me, got it?" Applying some lipstick in the mirror, Maria exclaimed, "Carrie, you can't leave now, I wanted you to come here, you know what an asset you are to me." Shaking my head, I replied, "no, no Maria, I am not an asset. You just use my fame for your own snobbish ways, and when you invite me to your party, you also invite Melanie who comes and is the height of rudeness to me, and also insults me and how I dress."

We were then joined in the hallway by Melanie. With disgust, I exclaimed, "speak of the devil." Ignoring this barb, Melanie faced Maria, "kissing up to Maria, are we Carrie? I've read your books, they're nothing but common trash. You wasted your time writing such pathetic stuff." Taking a step back, I was disgusted by Melanie's remarks, "Melanie, sure you may be more wealthy than I am, but I actually possess manners. As I said Maria, either she goes or I do. You have a minute to make your choice." I could see that this predicament was unsettling to Maria, she had to choose who left the party, her neighbour or her friend.

MatthewJames7

auroki likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:56 am

Sitting down in one of the chairs in the hallway, I waited for Maria to make her choice, either Melanie or I was going to be leaving the party. I could see that Maria was deeply concerned about who she would choose, she did not want to risk angering us both, but she was in a bad position and she knew it well. With slight impatience, I glanced at my watch, this had clearly taken more than a minute. Eventually, I got fed up, and standing up again, I exclaimed, "fine, choose Melanie for all I care, she's clearly more important to you than I am." Walking out the door, Maria followed me, "Carrie, just wait a second, you are important to me too. I need you at the party." Without looking back at her, I replied, "no, you don't need me at the party, Melanie is far more important, you just use me as a way to increase your reputation around here. You leech off my fame and use it for your benefits as you do with Michelle's. You clearly don't need me." Turning my head back, I could see that she was slightly hurt by what I had said, and returned to her house. When I made my way back home, I walked into the living room and sat down on the couch. Since my living room was to the side of the house, it meant that Maria and I could see what was going on in each other's living room 24/7. Suddenly I gave a little move down the couch to get comfy, and lo and behold, I spotted Melanie looking out of the window in Maria's living room. Waving sarcastically, she had an evil looking grin on her face, a triumphant one truth be told. She was clearly delighted that I had left the party, as it meant that she would get more attention. I was watching some TV while eating some leftovers. Finishing my meal, I got up from the couch and emptied the remainder of it into the bin. Hearing Juno purring, I knew it was time that I gave her some food too. "Come on Juno, dinner time." Almost before I said it, Juno meowed with delight, she always loved her dinner. Bringing her out to the front of the house, I put her food into her bowl and watched her gobble it up, it was clear that Juno was hungry, of course I had not fed her in a few hours due to my social engagements. As I was feeding her, I then spotted Melanie coming out of Maria's house, she had that same evil smile on her face, this was not going to be a good encounter. 

"I hope that mangy fleabag is trained properly, though I suspect living with you, that's probably unlikely. I suppose it's the only person who really cares about you Carrie, I suspect that your daughters are totally embarrassed by the fact that their mother wears a suit and tie, I bet they were disgusted by the fact you made them wear one the night of your book launch, yes, I was there, but I tried as well as I could to keep out of your way. I would be ashamed and embarrassed if my daughter ever wore a suit and tie, my son however, he wears a suit and tie every day, and he always looks so properly dressed." At that moment I spotted a young man walking towards us. He fitted Melanie's description, and my assumptions were confirmed when I watched her straighten his tie, "there you go my darling. A perfect double Windsor knot as usual." Smiling proudly, he replied "thank you Mummy." I was nearly nauseous watching this, and was about to walk back into my house when I saw Francesca walking towards us in a suit and tie also. Taking the man by the hand, she kissed him, "exclaiming, "hey babe." Looking at each other in shock, Melanie and I both exclaimed, "babe?" Almost lost for words, I couldn't believe it, Francesca's boyfriend was Melanie's son, this was incomprehensible. My daughter was dating the son of a woman, who not less than an hour ago, had called my books nothing but common trash and had spent my best years writing such pathetic stuff. If I was shocked, it paled in comparison to Melanie who looked as if she had encountered the grim reaper.

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:04 am

I'm thinking that Melanie and Carrie both apologise to each other and become friends, especially for the sake of their children's relationship, and that Melanie eases up on her opinions of a woman wearing a suit and tie. If they do, they join forces to take Maria down a peg or two and show her what everyone really thinks of her and her snobbish ways, maybe through sending a text to someone that Maria had sent to Carrie summing up what she thinks of the neighbours which quickly spreads around the neighbourhood and causes many people to arrive angrily at Maria's house. if you have any ideas yourselves, let me know.

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by auroki Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:01 am

MatthewJames7 wrote:I'm thinking that Melanie and Carrie both apologise to each other and become friends, especially for the sake of their children's relationship, and that Melanie eases up on her opinions of a woman wearing a suit and tie. If they do, they join forces to take Maria down a peg or two and show her what everyone really thinks of her and her snobbish ways, maybe through sending a text to someone that Maria had sent to Carrie summing up what she thinks of the neighbours which quickly spreads around the neighbourhood and causes many people to arrive angrily at Maria's house. if you have any ideas yourselves, let me know.

I'd say Melanie and Carrie are quite a ways off from becoming friends any time soon. But, having them try to bury the hatchet for the sake of their children dating would be something both would agree upon. If anything Maria trying to win favor with them both would probably be what causes them to try to get away from her and hang out a bit in privacy somewhere which could lead to them discovering common interests.

And keeping with the suit and tie theme. Melanie probably still would never wear one herself but she won't loudly bash Carrie or her daughters for doing so. Not her cup of tea but she ain't drinking it so to speak

auroki

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:46 am

Reluctantly, Melanie sighed, "you two are dating each other? Lukas, I suppose if it makes you happy, I have no objection to it. Carrie?" Nodding in agreement, I replied, "yes, I agree wholeheartedly Melanie. If they want to be together, they have my approval." Watching as they continued walking down the road, I faced Melanie with a slight look of apology in my eyes, as did she. Wiping her eyes, Melanie then looked at her phone, swiped to clear her notifications and then placed it back in her handbag. I was about to walk back into the house when Melanie exclaimed, "Carrie, wait a second." I knew this was not going to be good, but I accepted the fact that I had to hear what she had to say. Taking out a piece of gum I had in my mouth, I walked over to my rubbish bin, took it out of my mouth and placed it into some tissue. Putting it in the bin, I then closed the lid of it. Walking over to the low wall that separated my house from Maria's, I sat down waiting to hear what Melanie had to say. My presumption was that she was going to insult me again, but there was also part of me that seemed to think that she had a sense of apology, something gave me that aura. This was an aura I had not felt since the moment I had met her at the party. 

"Carrie, you don't like me very much, and I understand your thoughts. I was at the height of rudeness to insult your works like that, and I sincerely apologise. I know it will take some time for you to accept it, but for the sake of Lukas and Francesca, I wish to bury the hatchet. They both deserve mothers who wish the very best for them, not squabble with each other like petulant children. I'm not saying they'll marry each other, who knows they might, but for their sake, they would want us to bury the hatchet, I'm not quite of the opinion that we should become friends or anything just yet, it'll take a long while before anything like that occurs. Your daughters look up to you as their role model, their inspiration so to speak. I get that you like wearing a suit and tie, I wouldn't be privy to it myself, don't know if I ever shall to be honest, but we're still relatively young so my attitude towards it could change, I can't predict the future, but I am in no position to judge anyone by the contents of their wardrobes. I apologise for my remarks aimed at you during the party, that was tasteless and vulgar of me. If we ever are at another of Maria's dinner parties, and you wear a suit and tie, I promise that I won't bash you or make any snide comments about your clothes. You look great in them, but I don't think I'd adapt to wearing one."

Wondering where we had gone, Maria walked out of her house with a glass of champagne in her left hand, "I was wondering where you two disappeared to. Melanie, come back inside, there's someone I want you to meet." Glancing at her watch, Melanie exclaimed, "jeepers, I had better go home. It's getting kind of late. Maria, if you would excuse us, I wish to borrow Carrie for a little while, we have some important things to discuss." Without saying a word, Maria turned on her heel and walked back into the house, she was seemingly disgusted by this rejection, almost hurt a little. Clearly irate, Maria cursed loudly which stunned us, Maria never used profanity at all, she thought it was very lower middle class to use foul language.

Walking along the road, Melanie had given me a life story of how she grew up with Maria, they had been friends since primary school, and when Maria was old enough, she started bragging about Melanie's wealth. Melanie told me that she was quite embarrassed by this, and had once confronted her about it, but reluctantly decided to play along to satisfy Maria's snobby attitude. She also told me that she was raised in a very strict family so she never had any time to do anything she wanted. When Melanie would arrive home from school, she was immediately asked by her parents to get studying, they were very strict on her to study and get a college degree. This strictness had forged Melanie into someone she was not, and she yearned to cast off her shackles, especially the relationship with her father. Melanie's mother was more sympathetic to her, but her father was very austere, he wanted nothing but the best for her, and even made her dress formally at home. She was never allowed to wear anything remotely casual, it was just not on according to her father, wealthy people did not dress casually, dressing formally was another way to signify their wealth. Melanie's father also believed that women wearing a suit and tie was unacceptable and drilled it into Melanie's head, so it seemed to me that this was where her attitude towards a woman in a suit and tie stemmed from.

Arriving at a nearby hotel, we walked inside, Melanie then asked me to follow her to the bar. Ordering a couple of drinks, we sat down and chatted for what seemed like an age. It was as we were chatting that Melanie and I had found some common interests, but as she said, it would take a long while before we would even remotely become friends with each other. Giving each other our contact details, Melanie and I arranged to meet somewhere inconspicuous, somewhere that would be out of Maria's proximity.

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:09 pm

How's that so far? Let me know your ideas or anything you wish me to add

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewJames7 Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:41 pm

A few days later I met with Melanie in town for coffee. While we were sipping our coffee, Melanie asked me, "Carrie, what feeling do you have when you wear a suit and tie? I probably wouldn't wear one myself, I don't think they're really my style, but it intrigues me as to why you of all people wear them. I never wore a tie before, except for when I was at school and plus my father was rather strict on what I wore around the house. He never let me wear anything casual, not even a hoodie or anything. I asked him once about buying me a suit and tie, and he looked at me as if I had seriously insulted him. He said that women wearing a suit and tie was completely and totally unacceptable, he believed cross-dressing was the work of the devil. I had to wear dinner dresses every single day. I hated it, but since I had no choice it was kinda drilled into me on the opinion of women in suits and ties. Maybe some day I'll warm to the idea of it, but don't get your hopes up that it'll be soon. Carrie, you are a mother to four girls and a successful author, juggling the two is no easy thing, and I do respect you for it. I'm sorry for being such a pain in the teeth, it's just how I was grown up. My family are all snobby and they look down on anyone they think are below them. Unfortunately I was raised to be that way. Oh, that's my phone ringing, it's a business appointment I've to go to. I'm sorry to have to leave unexpectedly Carrie, I'll see you soon."

Something felt slightly off to me, it was 11am on a Saturday, and Melanie's company was closed for the weekend. I pondered why she would have a business meeting on a day she was not working, something didn't seem right.

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum