Shirt and Tie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Scholarship

Go down

The Scholarship  Empty The Scholarship

Post by MatthewJames7 Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:32 pm

It is the dream of many to go to college and get a degree, and for me, it was no different. I had just finished my final secondary school exams, and I had the summer off to decide what college I would enrol to. Sitting at home one sunny June afternoon, my mum walked into the kitchen with a letter in her hand. "Kate, it seems that you are invited to join Laura and her family for dinner tonight, and I want you looking the part for it. Laura's family are very influential people, and they can help you advance your future. They see untapped potential in you, and they want to help you mould it. Now, you are wearing a suit and tie for the dinner, and that's final." I couldn't believe what I was hearing, I was being invited to dinner with Laura, a girl I didn't particularly like all that much, but the main concern was that I was being forced to wear a suit and tie, something I was vehemently against, girls didn't wear ties, it just didn't seem right. Despite my clear opposition to it, I had no choice but to comply with my mother's wishes. 

A few minutes later I started to get dressed, and as I pulled the three-piece suit out of my closet, I couldn't help but feel a sense of dread wash over me. I knew I had to wear the suit and tie for the dinner party, but I couldn't help but feel that it wasn't me. As I put on my shirt, I buttoned it up to the top, including my top button. Slipping the jacket on, I felt constricted and uncomfortable. The wool material felt scratchy against my skin, and I couldn't help but fidget with the buttons. As I pulled the trousers up over my hips, I felt like I was being fitted into a mould that didn't fit me. The waistband was tight, and the straight-legged cut felt restrictive. I took a deep breath and tried to relax, but I couldn't shake the feeling of being trapped. As I fastened the buttons on the waistcoat, I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. The subtle pattern on the navy-blue fabric was lost on me as I struggled to come to terms with the fact I was wearing a three-piece suit. Lastly came the tie, and tying it in a basic tie knot, I adjusted it in the mirror. The tie in question was a red coloured tie with small white dots, an accessory I never thought I'd be seen wearing.

As I was walking to Laura's house, I remembered how my mother insisted I wear a suit and tie so that I would 'look the part' for Laura and her family. I had tried to question my mum, and asked her if I could wear a dress, and that I felt uncomfortable wearing the suit and tie, but she insisted and there was no further debate about it. Even though I was uncomfortable wearing it, I suppose my mum only wanted the best for me, and that she had reminded me that it was an important opportunity and I needed to make a good impression. Approaching the house, I could hear the sound of laughter and conversation coming from inside.

Ringing the doorbell, I was greeted by Laura's mother Serena, who then brought me into the dining room. "Everyone, here's our superstar!" she announces, introducing Kate to the other guests. Kate felt a wave of nervousness wash over her as she took in the sight of the elegant dining room and and the well-dressed guests.  Serena begins to introduce Kate to everyone and gives their names as she's introducing them. "Kate, this is my husband John. You know Laura of course. This is Dr Muller, our family doctor and close friend of mine in college, and his wife, Mrs. Muller. And this is Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, they're both lawyers." 

A few minutes later the catering staff, that Serena had hired, announced that dinner was served, and sitting down at the table next to Laura, I took a subdued deep breath, this was going to be a long evening. At first there was general chitchat about different things, and then it came to the subject of college. As we were chatting and eating, Serena spoke up, "Kate, I was watching the team all season long, and I must say that I was very impressed. You played very well this season." 

Feeling slightly embarrassed by the attention, I tried to be gracious. "It was down to my teammates really' I replied. "They were the real heroes and assisted many of my goals this season." Giggling playfully, Laura interjected, "you're much too modest Kate. You were named player of the season in the school's soccer team's historic quadruple-winning season. This tie just begs for a Windsor knot." I then felt a gentle tug on my tie, and watching as Laura was fixing my tie, I exclaimed, "thank you" to which she replied, "let me get that for you Kate." Despite saying "thank you" to Laura for being so generous, I thought to myself, "a what? She's dressing me in front of all these people." 

Noticing this, Serena shot a disapproving look at Laura, and said, "Laura, stop. You're embarrassing Kate." When she had finished fixing my tie, Laura had a slight look of disappointment on her face, I knew she was only trying to help, but it did feel a little embarrassing that she was fixing my tie in front of everyone. One guest muttered to the person sitting beside them, "poor Kate, Laura fixing her tie in front of everyone."

"Kate, our university offers a sports scholarship program, and I would like to offer you the scholarship. Everything for you over the four years, your gear, equipment, boots, fees, they'll all be paid for by the college. Normally the scholarship program costs five thousand dollars, but in your case it's paid for by the college the first day you arrive and enrol."

Hearing this, I was very happy that Serena was so generous. "Thank you Serena, I am truly grateful that you think so highly of me." Nodding, Serena replied, "Kate, you have the potential to be the best women's soccer player on the planet, and we want to help you achieve that goal." I reaffirmed Serena that I would do everything to live up to my potential." A little while later the party had finished, and I started to make my home. While I was walking down the street, I noticed my school rival Madeleine holding out her hand to signify to me to stop where I was. The idea of being in her company made me feel nauseous.  "Well, if it isn't my school rival Kate, and in a suit and tie no less. I hear you were invited to join Laura and her family for dinner tonight, probably explains your choice of attire, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a suit and tie. As for me, I'm wearing couture honey, and I don't think you match my fashion sense, of course you don't have the wealth to do so either." She was accompanied by her mother Aurelia, who exclaimed, "Madeleine! we may be wealthy but that's no reason to brag about it. Please ignore Madeleine's comments Kate, you look very beautiful, and I must say it really suits you." Hearing Aurelia's kind words, it made me feel a lot more confident in wearing the suit and tie in public.

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

The Scholarship  Empty Re: The Scholarship

Post by MatthewJames7 Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:23 pm

The following morning, I had some business to do in the city, and I decided to wear the suit and tie to mix it up a little, I was always wearing dresses, so I wanted to see what it was like wearing suits. Getting showered and dressed, I looked at myself in the mirror, and I felt a lot more confident in the suit now than I had originally felt last night. Putting on a powder blue tie, I was extremely proud of how I looked, and felt as if I could take on the whole world. Just as I was walking out of my bedroom, my sister passed me, took one look at my suit and exclaimed, "what's with the tie?" Knowing she was being sarcastic, I replied, "I wanted to tidy up my image a little." Overhearing our conversation, my mum exclaimed, "she looks very stylish, go get em' sweetheart."

I had opted for a navy skirt to match my suit instead of the slacks, and looking at myself in the mirror one last time, I headed out of the house and made my way into town, which, unsurprisingly, for a Sunday, was very busy. As I was walking around town, I was stopped by many different people who were admiring my suit, and especially because it was public knowledge of my achievements over the school's soccer season. "Wow, that's Kate, she was the player of the season." Blushing slightly, I kept on walking because I would have been all day if I stopped to talk with every person I met on the street. It was at that moment that I spotted Aurelia walking in my direction, though Madeleine was not with her. 

"Kate, how wonderful to see you again, and may I say how stunning you look in that suit. I decided to come into town to escape for a few hours, my husband is driving me crazy, so that leaves me free to do my own thing for the day, do you fancy some lunch? I could use the company." Slightly miffed that my rival's mother was inviting me to lunch, I mulled it over in my head, and then replied that I would join her and was truly grateful for her kind invitation. As we were walking, Aurelia was telling me of her upbringing and that things weren't as rosy as they were now. Her family were quite poor, and that Aurelia decided from a young age that she would do everything in her power to turn the family's fortunes around, which I was highly impressed by, she clearly knew what she was doing. 

Eventually we arrived at a rather expensive looking restaurant, and noticing my concerns, Aurelia exclaimed, "don't worry a bit Kate, everything is taken care of, the owner is a friend of mine so she gives me a discount." After we were seated and had ordered our lunch, Aurelia sat forward in her chair, "Kate, I heard from one of my neighbours that you were at Serena's house last night for dinner and discussing your future, and then when you left, my neighbour overheard Laura speaking badly about you and calling you an attention seeking fraud, and that you just wanted everything to be about you. Kate, Serena never wanted to offer you that scholarship, she just said it to think she cared about you, and that you had untapped potential. In one way, she's right, you have limitless potential, and I want to help you along the way." At that moment Madeleine showed up, and exclaimed, "Kate? Mum? What's going on here?" 

Aurelia wiped some dirt from her glasses, and replied, "I was telling Kate of what transpired after the dinner party she was at last night, and what Laura and Serena had both said about her. Madeleine, I know that you have been jealous of Kate for a long time, but I want you to be her friend now." Sitting down next to me, Madeleine exclaimed, "my mum is telling you the truth Kate. Laura set you up, she doesn't care about you one bit, and she wanted to humiliate you in front of everyone. She even fixed your tie for you after she bragged about your accomplishments to everyone at the party. I know you're thinking I'm talking rubbish, but it's all true, everything Laura said about you. Kate, trust me on this." 

MatthewJames7

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum