Shirt and Tie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iconic ladies

2 posters

Go down

Iconic ladies Empty Iconic ladies

Post by Northerner Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:06 am

How about a little thought experiment? What if 'black tie' really meant all guests are supposed to wear it, but with ladies traditionally choosing white jackets for contrast and femininity? 
Here's a look at how cinema legends through the decades might have appeared attending premieres or parties under those circumstances. Bases created with AI and touched up/redrawn (sometimes extensively) by me.

Let's start with icons of the 1930's…including one who's frankly more 20's, so she goes first.

(EDIT: I've replaced the pics with named ones, since there were more than 250 views without a single guess. I suppose the recognition game didn't fly, so we'll stick to this from now on.)

Iconic ladies FIECvRq

Iconic ladies 5RjgPYq

Iconic ladies MRZoEQw

Iconic ladies HH7JKuy

Iconic ladies Twvy8mL

Iconic ladies Wro6Oxb

Iconic ladies D6rs7Jj

Iconic ladies AxfHqQT

Iconic ladies NZpTDmw

Iconic ladies 2ph6K5U

Northerner

Oluf Sand, micchelino and jropika like this post

Back to top Go down

Iconic ladies Empty Re: Iconic ladies

Post by Northerner Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:17 am

Okay, round 2 - icons of the 1940's. Check above for updated pics with names - and a redrawn version of Ms. Harlow with a more period-appropiate tie. Smile

Iconic ladies JPbLFW9

Iconic ladies WcT3YwM

Iconic ladies BxHffrG

Iconic ladies RBvAfyW

Iconic ladies 8PTxpHC

Iconic ladies ZVENegN

Iconic ladies 111HZsE

Iconic ladies KCwQIlB

Northerner

micchelino and jropika like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jropika Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:56 am

Personally i like Vivien Leigh's style the best. She wears a starched front shirt according to that era (I assume with a detachable starched collar), the shape and size of the black bow tie are perfect and the black waistcoat is also a must.

The other pictures are also great, especially where the lady is not wearing a turned-down collar. A turned down collar just isn't elegant enough for a tuxedo or white tie.

jropika

Back to top Go down

Post by Northerner Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:17 am

I tend to agree - I've redrawn a few turndowns as wingtips. That said, I like some variation and sometimes let what the AI spat out stay for that reason (and for looking nice enough).
However, if I simply posted the pics as-is they would often look quite sloppy since the computer has trouble deciding on good tie placement and size - it takes some effort to fix that, otherwise I could post a new batch every day. Will take at least a week at this rate. Smile
I've yet to see it produce a diamond-point tie, but I've drawn in a few to both cover bad edging and follow the fashion of the time. I plan to make them a bit thinner for the sixties and wider for the seventies, but not to the extremes you could see back then. And I personally don't like batwings much so I think I'll skip that style entirely. Very Happy
(Also, I get the computer to produce a few variations of each lady and pick what I feel works best, which sometimes means swapping in the hair, tie or even entire suit from another. So consider this little project a hybrid of AI and manual drawing!)

Northerner

Back to top Go down

Post by jropika Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:14 pm

It is understandable that it is not simple, but nevertheless, these turned out to be very high-quality works. Perhaps the highest quality that I have seen so far among the works of ai, perhaps they are of similar quality to the works of Bdb. Smile

I would like to see this concept with a white tie, with a high imperial collar that completely covers the neck instead of a wing collar.
And if there are hands, then with white gloves and a starched single cuff with cufflinks. Smile

jropika

Back to top Go down

Post by Northerner Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:21 am

Stepping back a bit, here are a couple more from the thirties - dancers that helped define the era. Since I realized there should be about four more from the forties I thought an even dozen per decade would be nice and symmetrical. Will post that quartet next!

Iconic ladies RlpLQGP

Iconic ladies HrxOF02

Northerner

Back to top Go down

Post by Northerner Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:36 am

Back to the forties - for some bonus trivia, the first two were VERY famous right around when the Archie comics started. In case you thought the names of his two perennial gal pals were chosen at random... Smile

Iconic ladies TPBhbyL

Iconic ladies UmdmPnQ

Iconic ladies JTBX60Z

Iconic ladies 5Dp1C4R

Northerner

Back to top Go down

Post by Northerner Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:07 am

And now for the absolute mid-century - the 1950's.

Iconic ladies ZocrIGl

Iconic ladies BAkUUtq

Iconic ladies PSr9ae6

Iconic ladies 9DopMLa

Iconic ladies YUP0kuL

Iconic ladies IKFoVqV

Iconic ladies AXQah5s

Iconic ladies 8Vewmiv

Iconic ladies 1uEjZKP

Iconic ladies 9EHZiUn

Iconic ladies SWvpDsO

And I'm going to make an exception here and turn it into a baker's dozen on account of the Gabor sisters - wouldn't be fair to mention just one of them when both had quite a bit of presence. They do look alike, but not enough to justify a choice since their images differed somewhat - cool and classy vs. vivacious and worldy.

Iconic ladies VxQNW9R
Iconic ladies PPUpvZQ

Northerner

Back to top Go down

Post by Northerner Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:05 am

Happy New Year! Let's ring it in with another decade - the 1960's, bringing a bit of international flair.
Oh, and if you're curious about the extent of my redraws, you can see what the AI spat out here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tJbfljDqzM1qAuxLBGNZDmAmf9aFTKJq
(As you can see, it's more than a little haphazard - sometimes including a regular tie as well. Ah well, nothing a little photoshop savvy can't remedy! Even if it's a bit more than just a click of a button... Smile )

Iconic ladies 7Jljytc
Iconic ladies Nulk11m
Iconic ladies 21sAxch
Iconic ladies LbwPLuU
Iconic ladies 7fZbEgY
Iconic ladies SkViu2H
Iconic ladies OVv9ijV
Iconic ladies N7YfyRV
Iconic ladies EY4J0Qz
Iconic ladies A8jIGQb
Iconic ladies 4EgIHKY
Iconic ladies E6e2xui